We have been working on taking down our salt water fish tank. This is no easy task. It is a 135 gallon tank on a stand and had a multitude of apparatus connected to it to keep it going plus a sump tank. The tanks are both emptied and mostly cleaned up. The equipment has all been disconnected, re-tested, cleaned up and stored. The base and stand are in the process of being refinished where necessary and restained and revarnished. The top cabinet as almost done. No easy process for us two oldies!
Meantime I am working on a hand knit sweater for the latest grandchild who is now 3 months old. I am using a pattern I used for our first grandson. This one seems to be much bigger for some obscure reason and wider. I thought I was using the same type of yarn but maybe this one is a bit thicker. I have the back and front done so far.
 |
| The neckband and the strips for the right shoulder opening are done too. |
 |
| The front pattern close up |
 |
| The back |
I also had a brainwave about my leatherwork. I am still very much a beginner with this hobby. I love to do the stamping and make patterns etc. It isn't as easy as it sounds though and I always have to practice before I start on an item. Plus I like to try out different patterns first. This uses up valuable leather. I do buy scraps for practice but it is still not that cheap plus the nearest leather store in 75 miles away so can't just pop around the corner to buy some.
The brainwave is to use some modelling clay. I had a spare 1 lb brick of it we bought last year. It is very versatile stuff. It had been in our shop all winter and summer and was still nice and supple. I put it in a big ziplock bag and rolled it out.
 |
| New brick of modelling clay rolled out in ziplock bag |
 |
| Border pattern tried out |
 |
| Background effect tried out |
 |
| Done for the day, too darned hot in the workshop this afternoon! So in readiness for next time I folded it all in and re shaped it ready to roll out next time. (see below) |
This will be a lifesaver for me. No more wasted leather!
No comments:
Post a Comment
As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.