Monday, August 11, 2014

My Christmas decoration prototype and a new phone cover

I bought a set of Tandy Christmas stamps on sale.  Christmas has and hopefully always will be a special time for me.  (Yes! even at the tender age of 66 I still look forward to Christmas every year.)

What to do with these stamps was the next question?

I was trying them out so thought I would try and make a Christmas scene using them.  This was just on a test piece of leather.  The stamping is terrible, over impressed most of them and double stamped one.  aarrgghh!!! But it was only practice.

Even my husband commented that it wasn't my best work and he is rarely ever critical.

I was bound and determined though to salvage something out of it so I trimmed it down and wondered if it could be made into a Christmas tree decoration.  I stained the leather lightly leaving the indentations unstained so as to show up.  I added some glue glitter to write the current year on the back and put some glitter along the edges.  I trimmed it with some Christmas ribbon and made a loop for hanging it using some leather lace I had bought on sale along with the stamps.

Some of the stamps are disproportionate in size to each other.  For example see Santa on top of the roof!

I would never give it to anyone because it is so flawed but it will hang  on our Christmas tree this year and for many years to come.  I will work on my technique and come up with some other ideas.  I do like the idea of making family members and friends a leather Christmas tree decoration that they can keep.




I lost my cell phone case so had to make another.  The 'T' motif sewn on the front was a practice piece I had done for the centres of some coasters I had made last Christmas.  (Can you tell I hate to waste anything?)


So these are my latest projects.

Looking forward to working on some more decorations. Maybe star shaped or bell shaped.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.