Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Trying to resurrect my limited crochet skills and why on earth am I still obsessing about sewing machines?

So, I am still obsessing about getting a new sewing machine.  I spend way too much time searching for great deals and comparing machines.  The problem is I DO NOT need another sewing machine.  I know that so why am I doing this.  Like isn't three enough?????

Logic dictates that I do not sew enough to warrant buying another machine.  I am not going into full time quilt making and with the walking foot I bought for my Singer I can do all the quilting I am ever likely to do.  I can also use the Singer for darning etc. as it comes with a cover for the teeth (whose proper name eludes me right this minute) so I could freehand quilt with that also.

The MIL old Brother XL703 has many different stitches and to be truthful I will probably only ever use a few of them.

And the Brother Auction special is great for high speed sewing.

So what is my problem?  I have no idea, it is totally illogical.  Maybe now I have got it onto paper it will go out of my head.

Changing the subject, I do not have any projects on the go right now so I decided to see if I could still crochet.  Only done it a few times in the past and only ever made round doily things.  We have a blanket made from crochet squares.  It fits on our king size bed.  It is a wonderful blanket and made in pretty lemon shades.  I bought it in a garage sale about 15 years ago for $3. I thought I might try and make one.  It would give me something simple to sit and do at night.  I could hand knit but I think that is a bit pointless when I have three good working knitting machines, so crochet it will be. Not sure how long I will stick at it.

My first attempt was bad, I had grabbed some course yarn from my stash and it kept splitting while I was doing it so it was ugly.  I got some better yarn and started again.  I have worked out how to make the squares so I'll see where I go with it.  At the very least I could make a baby blanket as my preference these days seems to be for smaller projects.

I do want to make something on the knitting machines too but not sure what yet.  A baby jacket I think it will be but I would like to know whether the new grand baby is a boy or a girl before I do that. They have decided not to find out until the birth so I won't be starting on that until May sometime.

The last few days here have been lovely and we got outside yesterday to work.  Today, my husband is sorting out some computer problems so we didn't go out to work.  I did get into the workshop though to check out all my leather tools and they survived the winter OK so it made me want to get out there and do some leatherwork again.

Maybe with the crochet, leatherwork and getting outside more the sewing machine obsession will dissipate.  I can only hope so................but in the meantime there is a really nice Brother XR1355 machine that does lots of different things and you can get it refurbished for only $136.  Like, who doesn't need one of those at that price?

Oh yea! me!


2 comments:

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.