I dislike this process a lot, I much prefer making the granny squares to joining them up even if it still a crochet process to do it. I will put a chain stitch border around it then decide from there how much bigger I will have to make it. I found some yarn that matches pretty well two of the colours so I purchased some and will just do rounds on it until desired size is reached. I do not want to do any more squares and a border will be nice.
Also I started on the baby dresses for our newest grand baby. I reviewed the pattern, pinned on the pattern pieces and have most of it cut out.
The pattern is for a sun dress with a flounce and a pocket. I originally bought some plain yellow seersucker just to make one dress but decided it needed a bit of a contrast. I thought I would do the flounce, pocket and shoulder straps in the said contrast fabric.
So I found some fabric out of my stash but it wasn't enough so I had to buy some more and whilst browsing for it the brainwave hit me!
Buy enough for a second dress, cut two dresses out at the same time and swap over the flounce, pockets and shoulder straps.
Now I will have a patterned dress with plain contrasts and a plain dress with patterned contrast.
Pretty clever eh?......well I think it is.
Oh, there is another story to go with this. The $10 thread! We were in Columbia at the hospital for an appointment and I wanted to get some orange and yellow variegated thread. I had seen some previously at a sewing shop in Columbia but didn't want to drive all across town just to get one item so I went to a closer sewing shop. Well, I knew the minute I walked through the door that this place was much above my pay grade but thought I would browse anyway. I found a similar thread to what I had seen at the other shop but it was like $10 plus. What the heck!!!!! I didn't want to look like a cheap skate so I bought it but I will not be going back there again, that's for sure.
| As you can see Maggie was not very interested in all the goings on |
| The fabrics and that $10 thread! |
| Pattern pieces ready to pin on fabric |
Cute fabrics for the dresses....$10 thread?!!? Zowie!
ReplyDeletexxx
I know, I couldn't believe it. It is a largish spool, 500 yds but still way overpriced. It is exactly what I wanted though. But I am still annoyed at myself for buying it and not just walking out. Pride does get us into trouble sometimes!
DeleteThis IS a busy time of the year for me too. Trying to get work done both inside and outside. $10 thread? Nope, I would have had an EASY time walking out. Afterall, they were never going to see ME again!!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea for the dress fabric too. You are a pretty smart cookie! Joining crochet blocks....nope...hate that too, and I've made my share of them. But when you want something Granny, well you just have to give in. Besides, they are so danged pretty.
Have a great weekend.
xx, Carol
Hope your hand is getting better Carol. I usually have no trouble walking out either but there was just something intimidating about this store and my ego sometimes over rules my brain. It was a case of 'I can afford your stinking $10 thread lady'. Hopefully I will be more sensible should another similar occasion arise lol.
Delete