Monday, May 1, 2017

What a lotta rain!

We have had a lot of rain here this few days, more than usual for this time of year but needed to fill up the aquifers so no complaints.  It did put the kibosh on the mowing and it is really quite muddy outside. The dogs, no matter how many times I tell them, do NOT wipe their paws when they come in lol. So, an ongoing battle with dirty paw prints but what the heck, I love my dogs.

Maggie, doesn't much like the heavy rain, it is a job to get her off the front porch to go do her business.  She holds it in rather than get wet but eventually, when she can't wait any longer, she finds the driest way through the bushes to the grass then hi-tails it right back back in.  Boris doesn't care, he doesn't mind the rain at all.

We got a few hours of no rain yesterday so I took them for their walk. For a doggie who doesn't like the rain she doesn't care how wet she gets running through the wet grass and came back soaked through!

I had a chance last week to spend a few hours on the treadle machine, getting used to using the treadle and trying different sewing feet from an old machine.  Some worked and some didn't.  The walking foot actually does work on it so I really have no excuse not to start on the quilt.  The rolled hem foot worked great too but the gathering foot didn't. That may have been user error though.  I have to look up a youtube video to make sure I was doing it right.

I have also picked up the knitting needles again and am making a little bolero jacket for our youngest grand baby who turns 2 tomorrow.  We will see them at the end of June so will save it for then. The back and fronts are knitted in one and I have done up the the splitting for the sleeves and one side so far.

I am trying use up some of my stash of wool rather than buy more.  I also found a pattern for a crochet poncho so I might make that too from the stash.  I can do that at night when watching TV.

A couple of simple projects which suits me perfectly these days.

I found the patterns on this blog:-

https://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.com/

This lady has a lot of patterns, mainly for babies but some toddler patterns too.

This is the poncho pattern:-

poncho pattern

and the bolero (she calls it a shrug) pattern:-

bolero (shrug) pattern

Addendum

Yep!, user error for sure on the gathering foot.  Watched the video, I was putting the fabric through the foot instead of under.  The slot in the foot is for when you want to attach another piece of fabric on top when gathering the bottom piece. Will give it another try.......

2 comments:

  1. Oh geez, we have had a lot of rain too and cooler than normal temps. I'm waiting for spring, maybe not so patiently.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no complaints here about the coolness. The hot summers don't agree with me so this can last as long as it likes for me. My husband is like you, he prefers the sun and the warmer weather.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.