Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Christmas progress

Christmas cards all made, written and mailed.

1 gift for husband found and ordered

Family gift for one son and family found and ordered

Daughter's gift ordered and received (she better not be wearing them yet!!!)

Outside lights and ornaments put up and tested

Inside ones bought to house

Bought nice big piece of beef for Christmas dinner (husband doesn't like turkey) and fixings for Christmas cake.

Still to do:-

Put up inside decorations and little tree

Gifts for 5 grandkids and other daughter to order

Wrap gift for littlest grandchild and mail

Find another gift for husband

Get something for Maggie the dog

Get rest of food shopping

Make Christmas cake and shortbread

It is only December 5th though so should have plenty time to get the rest of the Christmas stuff done. There will only be the two of us and Maggie this year so no need to go daft.

I find that my enthusiasm for Christmas has wained a bit the past few years, I remember my Mum was the same at my age and I couldn't understand it at the time.......but I do now.

For our youngest grand daughter I have knitted the American doll clothes written about in a previous post (plus a top) and I have decided to dress Fern with them and send her too.  I found another doll in another thrift store which I was going to send but decided on Fern because she reminds me so much of our granddaughter with short blonde hair and bright blue eyes. The new doll I have named Leigh, she has long brown hair and brown eyes and was made in 1995, she is in excellent condition for the age.

I seem to have become a rescuer of wannabe American girl dolls. I will still have the new doll Leigh and Peggy after Fern goes to our granddaughter.

We have had the usual unplanned expenses arise that we always seem to get just before Christmas.  The furnace went out, fortunately the replacement motor was covered under warranty but we had to pay $190 for the labour.  Husband needed new glasses and we had to pay $86 towards the cost of them, extra trips to hospitals and of course we have the expected property taxes but we had managed to save for those.

Two more hospital trips at least before Christmas too.

On a very different note, I watched most of the funeral today of George H.W. Bush the 41st president of the USA.  It was a very dignified and profound ceremony, very touching and a lovely send off for him.  Recorded the rest to watch later.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have everything sorted and are very organised with your lists. Beef sounds like a wonderful alternative to Turkey, my husband is not a fan either. Although he will eat it, it is not a treat. Hope all goes well with your hospital trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three quilts to finish, small gifts to finish and table topper and place mats I haven't even started. Shopping next week with hubby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the funeral in DC too. He was the last of his kind. Tell me what cut of beef you bought and what you will do with it. The kids will be back for Christmas and I do NOT want to prepare turkey or ham. It sounds like you have the gifting under control. We only buy gifts for the little ones now.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had posted a comment on your blog about beef but here goes on here. I slow roast my beef in an enamel oval roaster. I add some water and only remove the lid about 15 mins before I take it out. I make gravy with the juices. I get the butcher at our local store to cut me a piece of rump about 4lbs or just over. We get our Christmas dinner out of it plus cold cuts. I also slice it thin and warm in bbq sauce and put on buns. Can't tell any difference from bbq brisket. We get a few meals from that one joint.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.