Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Here I go again!!!

I have to admit to being a tad on the obsessive side and sometimes I can't let things go.  The desire to get another old sewing machine wouldn't go away even after the last disaster.  However I am also very frugal so cost is a big factor in any purchase I make.

So......when I saw this little beauty fall from $75 to $50 then to $25 my interest was very piqued!    

This was the photo they put up:-


It is not a Singer, it is a 1953 Standard 1500 made in Japan.  It is based off the Singer 15-91

I asked the seller if it worked, he assured me it did and he would let it go for $20 so I went to look at it on Sunday.

It is in excellent condition and yes, everything works on it.  The cabinet needs repairing that's why it has a chunk of wood in the photo.  But I am going to put it in my existing cabinet in my sewing room which doesn't have a machine in it.  I have just used it for years to put a portable machine on. I really do not have room for another cabinet in my room.


The cabinet I am using is the one with the white machine on it.


I have to do some modifications to the cabinet to get it to fit and then I have to clean and oil the machine. it has a little dried oil on the workings but not much so I should be able to remove it easily and the paint and metal facings are in are really nice condition. The electrics have to be put in the cabinet too.  I took them out of the one it came in.  So still quite a bit of work to do.

It is a good sturdy machine and it has a knob you can turn to drop the feed dogs for quilting.  Never done patterned quilting before but now I will be able to give it a try.

I am happy and I believe I will stop looking for another machine now.

Photos will follow when all the work is done and it is up and running......


6 comments:

  1. Great deal for a lovely machine. I hope it all works well. I look forward to seeing some of the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be giving the quilting a go for sure. It really is a lovely machine. The photo the seller put up doesn't do it any justice.

      Delete
  2. Bob... the engineer... really laughed when I read him the posting!! We've bought machines just to get a part. I bought one just because it was made near where I was born in Germany at about the same time!! When we're gone they are not going to believe how many sewing machines we have!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh too. Did you get the one from Germany up and running?

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great find and great price. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.