Saturday, January 21, 2023

An update on the stamping progress!

**Warning! Photo heavy and a bit boring**


Well, I am a little disappointed in my progress on the stamping front.  I have concluded that the problem is the cheapie ink pads that came with the stamps I got at Christmas, (as well as user error!)  They have dried out very quickly and are not very big so I have difficulty getting the stamps inked evenly.

I did a lot of online research and have realised that you need to buy good quality refillable ink pads and bottles of refill ink to ensure even stamping.

But! and as I have said many times before, there is always a BUT!

Good ink pads and refills are very expensive to get an assortment of colours. The ones I like are $8 for the pad and $4 for a bottle of refill.  To get six different colours that comes to $72 plus mailing costs as we do not live anywhere near to a good craft store.

So I have been churning over and over whether to spend the money on the inkpads and refills.

I couldn't commit that much money, it defied logic to me.  I decided to check out ebay and found some inkpads that came with refills in  the brand I wanted.  They are the previous model of pad but a pad and a refill bottle were only $5.50 for the two. So I gritted my teeth and ordered 6 and I eagerly await their arrival next week. I negotiated on the mailing cost so that helped with the decision making. As you can see from the cards below, the stamping is patchy and feint.  I am really hoping the new ink pads and ink will solve that problem in the future.

I make cards because I really enjoy doing it and also because good quality ready made cards are very expensive.  I try to personalise the cards too, like my daughter likes dragon flies and one of my my granddaughters likes unicorns so I try to incorporate their likes into their cards and I really like matching envelopes.  I can  pretty up the envelopes to match the cards using the stamps or even make them with nice paper.  

This is what I have done lately:-





This one I will use, not 100% happy with it but it was made with love and it is my first home made matching envelope






This one will probably languish in the bottom of the 'made cards' box to be used only in emergencies. The stamping is not good, partly user error and partly bad ink pads.



This one is not finished yet, will certainly not be doing any stamping on it until the new pads are here.


It is dull and cold so I am trying to get organised by cutting out flowers, butterfies and greetings etc so they are ready for when I want to make more cards.  My husband is also tied up with a project of his own so I am getting more time to spend on my card making right now, which I am thoroughly enjoying.  There is something very therapeutic about running these dies through the Sizzix machine and popping out the shapes.







 I also cleared out an old set of plastic drawers to use for my supplies.  I had things in there belonging to my son from when he was a teenager.  They are tucked away now in a plastic tote and I have organised the supplies into the drawers.  Much easier! They sit right by my work table.


Will post again after the ink pads get here.  Fingers crossed they help a lot.


10 comments:

  1. Really nice! If you're looking for a good quality black ink pad I'd recommend Versafine Black ink. I've found that it's really good quality and the ink pads seem to last a long time! Enjoy the stamping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one's I bought on ebay are 'Stampin Up'. But there is not a black one so I will look for the one you mentioned. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Personally, I think they all look absolutely great. A shame about the ink pads but fingers crossed the new ones work better for you. Looking forward to seeing some more now. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I too hope the new ink pads will be a great help. They are getting here Tuesday so not long to wait.

      Delete
  3. Hello Maureen. You have made some lovely cards. Your Sizzix machine must be fun to use. I have a Spellbinder but haven't used it for a long time. Handmade cards are so special. Hope the inkpad issue gets sorted so you can make lots more cards. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog. I really love the card making and strive to improve. Eagerly awaiting the new ink pads arriving Tuesday. Been watching lots of youtube videos for ideas.

      Delete
  4. I don't have the patience to make my own cards. I have tried stamping before and in my case it was user error not the actual stamps that made my cards look not the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still working on the stamping, I am not artistic although I can be creative but so far stamping has me beat. New stamps arrived last night so will be trying them out today.

      Delete
  5. Those cards look lovely. You can refresh the ink pads with glycerine mixed with water. I bought a big bottle on ebay.... it works on felt pens too. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for that info. I will add it to my shopping list. The new pads came with a bottle of refill ink but the originals were part of a stamping package. beautiful colours but don't last very long. I will definitely be refreshing them with the glycerin. I just went through my pens and threw a lot out, hope I haven't emptied my bin yet!

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.