Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The LC2 is working!

Thanks to Suzy whose blog is I follow, the LC2 is working.  She put up a video for me on how to use the LC2 on her blog.  From that I was able to ascertain where I might have gone wrong.  After replacing all the 70 needles that I had bent the latches on, I tried again.  This time I only used 50 needles. Unfortunately though, I still had problems.  At least this time I knew it wasn't down to user error.  This time I only bent the latches on about 20 needles as I could tell pretty quickly it wasn't knitting correctly and stopped. When I slowly ran the carriage over the knitting I could see that it was the sinker plate that was bending the latches.

So, I examined the sinker plate and spotted that the left and right underside of it were not symmetrical.  I asked Suzy if she would post pictures of the underside of her LC2 sinker plate, which she most graciously did.

From the pictures I could identify which side of mine was incorrect.


Where the arrow is pointing is where it had gone wrong on mine.  The large metal plate below and to the left of the arrow has a piece that bends downward at the arrow and it had somehow hooked itself over the metal plate that is just to the right of it.  I was able to unhook it quite easily.

So, after replacing those 20 needles, gingerly, I tried it again.

This time I used even less, just 40 needles.  I had just paid $55 for 100 needles and wasn't wanting to shell out another $55. I had at this point replaced 90 needles!

I also used a different lace punch card just in case the first one was somehow compromised.

So, I followed all the steps as per Suzy's video and joy oh joy, it worked this time.  I did a full round of the punch card and then some stockinette then casted off.  And NO bent latches.

I was flying high.  I was so excited.


I did notice one place where the hole didn't form properly but overall it did just fine.

I am sure with practice I will get better at it.

When I showed my husband the knitted piece he burst out laughing.  He thought it was hilarious that I had spent all this time, effort and money to make knitting with holes in.  He was very happy for me but totally bemused.



I have actually had the lace carriage for over a year.  It came with a knitting machine I had purchased in August 2012.  I have been pondering since then on whether or not it was repairable, looking at it from time to time to see if I could get the top off to look underneath  and had just about given up on it when I found the website on how to strip it down and free the drums and also found the supplier that I can get parts from.

It was this past November that I actually started the repairs on it. It was not without it's moments (see previous posts).  But now, two months later I have it working.

I became a bit obsessed with getting it to work.  It became a challenge! Suzy aptly said that us women won't let these machines beat us and she is right.

I don't have anything that I need in a hurry to make using it so I am going to get back onto the SK155 and make my poor husband the sweater or cardigan I have been promising him forever.  When I have done that I will make something for my youngest grand daughter using the lace carriage.

With respect to the SK155, the insurance cheque went through OK and I have decided just to repair the lid by buying the two plastic ends for it.  The needle bed is attached to the bottom, not quite as it should be but it is functional and I have to glue on the end plastic thing which is just cosmetic.  The machine knits just fine.  I also bought the missing left RC lever and holder and can put that in now I know how to take off the cover.

This has been quite a learning period for me.  I feel better knowing that I can make simple repairs and obtain parts.

My thanks go out again to Suzy whose help was invaluable to me.

Her blog is listed down the right hand side of my home page.  It is called 'My knitting machines and me"  Check it out, she has an amazing set of videos she has made and lots of patterns posted.  Also she has photos of garments and other things she has knitted.  She is a very talented lady.

Also thank you to 'Pieces of Kate' blog who has a post on how to strip down the carriage to clean the drums.  There is a link to her post in previous posts of mine.

1 comment:

  1. I was happy to help. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.