I follow a lot of knitting blogs. One, in particular, is a great inspiration to me. It is Suzy Ranner's blog. "My knitting machines and me". It is listed on the side of my blog with a link to it. Suzy's videos have been such a help to me and she lists lots of patterns. She was also a big help when my lace carriage wouldn't work.
I think about knitting all the time. I want to be knitting all the time but alas life throws us some curve balls and for me it just isn't possible right now.
I am really lucky. We have a spare bedroom that doubles as a knitting and sewing room for me. I have my sewing machine table set up in it and a desk with two knitting machines set up on opposite sides. My Studio SK700 standard machine with SRP 60 ribber and my Studio SK155 (battered but usable) bulky machine. (See previous posts for all the gory details on how it arrived all battered).
So what is my problem you might wonder. Well, this room is upstairs. My husband has a chronic auto immune neurological disease and although he isn't bed bound he can't really be left alone too long. He is still undergoing the chemo regimine in a bid to stop it progressing. He spends most of his time downstairs or outside or in the workshop and I need to be close at hand. He is bound and determined to be productive as long as he can and I commend and admire him for that. My job is to take care of him and make sure he doesn't injure himself in his endeavours so for the time being his interests are also my interests and we spend most of our time together.
When I go upstairs to 'my room' I get lost in another world. I need time to concentrate and do my knitting without being disturbed. That sounds a bit selfish I know but that's how I am. I could be up there all day oblivious to anything else. But that said, I am trying to be more flexible and not be so absorbed. I am trying to find a way to work machine knitting back into my life without spending hours at a time holed up in my room. I now do my research downstairs, I sort and wind my yarn downstairs, I read my manuals downstairs. I even knitted a couple of hand knitted things for the grand kids whilst watching TV downstairs.
I do love hand knitting but it seems a bit senseless to knit by hand when I have three knitting machines.
I love my Studio 700 standard machine and ribber, it really is my favourite machine. I personally prefer garments knitted with finer yarn but I have a boatload of thicker yarn inherited from my mother in law so I need to use the bulky.
My husband wants an Arran cardigan. I could hand knit it but it would take me forever. I am not good at finishing large items and he wears XXL. I have been looking for a tuck stitch pattern that resembles Arran. My bulky came with some hand punched cards. I believe they include the 5 original patterns that came with the machine plus some others. I found another pattern I liked so I punched it out too.
I knitted a swatch yesterday of the one I punched out but it wasn't as nice as I hoped. When I was sorting yarn I found a swatch I did some time ago on the bulky and on looking at it again I think it will be just fine. (see photo below). I believe it is one of the cards that came with the machine and I did it on elongated. (The problem is that I can only vaguely remember doing it!!!!!) So at this point it is only speculation. (Getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be lol).
So I will find the time over the next few days to try and replicate it. I will have to use slightly thicker yarn as I don't have enough of the yarn it was done in to make a whole sweater. I am hoping that won't be a problem. (The yarn I do have enough of is the same colour as this but is thinner so I will be using two strands).
I used the same two strands yesterday on my punched tuck stitch card and it knitted quite tight. It was too tight in my opinion. I didn't do it elongated though. The sample I found (pictured above) which used just a single strand of the other (slightly thicker) yarn is much looser and probably a tad loose. I am hoping the two strands of thinner yarn will be just right. Fingers crossed on that!
I can see from the swatch that I didn't start it off on the right row. The hand punched cards have Row 1 higher up than the originals I think so I will start it a couple of rows lower.
Also I am going to use the garter bar I bought to turn the knitting around when I have done the mock rib and latched it up and knitted one row. The purl side of the tuck stitch will be the right side so by turning the ribbing around before starting the tuck stitch the smooth edge of the mock rib will be the same side as the tuck stitch pattern.
Now I have to find a pattern for this cardigan. I really want to be able to use the Knitware software but it just will not work on my computer even using the fixes they recommend. Our computers are all 64bit and this software is for 32bit. I have yet to find an old computer to be able to use it on. So the search is on for a man's cardigan for a bulky 9mm machine. I have sweater patterns but no cardigan one as yet.
My thanks go out to Suzy again and her blog. She is such an inspiration to me. Please keep on knitting and blogging Suzy!
Have you looked on http://needlesof steel.org.uk
ReplyDeletethere are lots of free patterns there, you might be able to find one for a man's cardigan.
I could create a pattern for you in Knitware if you let me know how many stitches and rows you are getting to 4 inches.
I like the tuck stitch pattern you used in the photo - I hope you manage to find the card again!
Thanks Suzy. I looked on needlesofsteel.org.uk and found a basic men's cardigan. Pretty simple so I should be able to modify it to fit. If I can't I will get back to you with the stitches and rows to 4" and the size required but hopefully I won't have to bother you. You have been such a good help to me throughout my knitting machine ventures. I can't thank you enough.
DeleteThat's OK, I'm happy to help.
DeleteMaureen this tuck stitch looks similar to the one alex did a few years back. Here is a link (standard gauge 24 st card but wonder if it can be converted to 12 for the 155?)
ReplyDeletehttp://goodeys.tripod.com/goodeysknittingroom/id41.html
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil. I believe it is the same pattern too. I already had punched the card Alex put up and used it to make a zip up hoodie for my grand daughter on my standard machine. The one I used to try on the SK155 came with it. It never had the original set but the previous owner had punched up some cards and labeled them 1 to 5. I did some research and found they are indeed copies of the original set or at least very close. He also included some other punchcards he had made and one of them looks similar to the one Alex had posted and I can only assume that was the one I used as I can only vaguely remember doing it and that's sad for an old lady!!!! I am pleading being so busy with other things and duties as my excuse. When I got my SK155 I was so upset because it had been so badly damaged in transit. It took a long time to get the insurance claim sorted out so it sat forever unused as I didn't know what the outcome would be. It was finally resolved in my favour. I got a full refund and got to keep the machine. My husband's health was deteriorating a lot back then too so things are a bit of a blur. He is a little better right now so I am trying to slowly get back to my knitting. The SK155 is usable. The base was damaged and a screw holding the needle bed was ripped out. The yarn holder on the right was broken and the lid was totally bashed up and the ends cracked and broken. I have different nut and bold holding down the base but now I can't glue back the yarn holder. It is usable however and for that I am really grateful.
ReplyDeleteSo I will try again the punchcard I believe I used and if it is I will (with a lot of luck) get to start on the cardigan my husband wants. He is adamant that he wants a chunky knit one. That pattern is the closest I think I can get to an Arran pattern. Little wary to start as I will be using most of the needle bed and usually I only knit kid's things. It was around 1994 that I last knitted an adult garment.
Really appreciate your commenting and help Phil.
The previous comment I deleted because I thought the card was one of the set of 5 but when I went and checked it wasn't, it was just another card he had punched and included. I didn't want to look like a complete knit wit lol.
No problems Maureen. If you have problems with having enough needles to do the cardigan just do the back in two pieces and seam them up neatly.
ReplyDelete