Monday, November 17, 2014

What I've been up to the past three weeks.

Well, I made the belt for my son's birthday but in my haste to mail it off to him in England I forgot to take photos! (a recurring theme I'm sorry to say).  I have asked him to take a couple and email them to me. Time will tell on that one lol, he is a busy young man.

My husband wanted a hat and neck warmer for when he is outside so I made him these on the Studio 700 using the ribber.  Straight forward
1 x 1 rib.  He can pull the neck warmer up to just under his eyes so his face keeps nice and warm when he is outside.




So after making the above he wanted some mittens but with one finger for his index finger so he could work in them out in the shop.  Well, that one got me stumped as I didn't want to hand knit them and was clueless as to how to do them on the machine.  Then I had a brain wave!!!!!

I made a black tube on the machine in 1 x 1 rib and using the same yarn as for the hat and neck warmer.  I gathered the top and sewed it up and left two holes so he could wear black magic gloves underneath and poke his thumb and finger through the holes.  Voila! mittens with an index finger and thumb made very simply.  The magic gloves even have special tips so that he can use his cell phone and tablet wearing them.  Magic gloves are so cheap here, only $2 a pair for the ones with the special tips and two pairs of the normal ones for $1.50. Why on earth would I knit them when I can buy them that cheaply?  With the extra tube layer if it gets too cold he can just bring his thumb and finger inside the mitten.  We are having bitterly cold weather right now, well below freezing so the hat, gloves and neck warmer are getting well used.





I have also done some sewing but that is for another post, perhaps tomorrow........




No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.