Things have quietened down a little here. Our son Andrew was buried in NJ where his wife and two children live, we were not able to attend because my husband is not well enough to travel.
We organised a Memorial Service here in MO as there are a lot of family here who wanted to pay their respects. I had a lot of help from neigbours and family to do this and it was a lovely tribute to him.
Our other son and daughter came to attend and spend some time with us but they have both gone back to their lives. One lives on the east coast and one on the west and we are smack dead centre of the US.
My husband's health is getting worse. The doctor has told us that he shouldn't be out in public and even in small groups he should wear a mask as his immune system is so compromised now. Added to that he has heart issues that seem to be getting worse. He soldiers on though and thinks he is immortal which I am sure is what is keeping him going. He is always sure the miracle cure is just around the corner. There is power in positive thinking.
So, many changes to come I think, probably have to move to a place where there is minimal maintenance and no land to tend to.
My husband is fighting this because he doesn't want to give up his workshop and tools and the eternal optimist in him believes he will get back out there to work one day. I hope he is right.
The last few days I have been able to get out to the workshop myself and put some coats of stain on the treadle sewing machine cabinet. Just one more coat I think will do it. Golden Oak to try and get some yellowness into it. I had to use dark stain to get the depth of colour but it was more red than I hoped. Hoping the oak will help but whatever the outcome it will have to do. Finally, a coat of varnish and it will be ready to come back to the house and have the machine put back in it.
It is weird, a few weeks ago this was my primary focus.
How things change so quickly.........................
glad to hear you are soldering on, the cabinet is looking great
ReplyDeleteThanks Dawn, I did put the last coat of stain on today so should be able to varnish it tomorrow.
DeleteThings DO change quickly. My husband has limiting health issues too. He gets depressed that he can no longer do what he wants or needs to do. He can still go to his workshop, but can't do much. I always hang around in ear shot in case he needs me quick. Things do change quickly...I need them to slow down a little.
ReplyDeletexx, Carol
I never know what is the best to do. Today he was feeling a little better for about an hour and in that time he talked about he would finish the sunroom ceiling. He was soon back to feeling bad so I don't know if I should try to encourage him or discourage him. I don't want to break his spirit, it's about the only thing that's still intact. I try to drag the conversation out by talking about it so as not to discourage him and suggest really easy things to do in case he decides to get up and try. Usually, he feels bad again before he can get about and try something. This heart thing has really set him back.
Delete