Monday, September 25, 2017

I hate it when I can't find something I think I know I have somewhere!

Recently, we were out in the workshop where we still have some of my MIL's stuff stored.  She died in 2010 and it still seems invasive to go through it.  I know that at some point it will have to be done. Somehow one of the totes got knocked over and the contents scattered on the floor.  So we set about picking them up and I came across some squares that she had weaved on a mini loom and started to sew together.


They were not big enough to be anything useful but clearly she had something Autumnal (Fall) in mind.  I remember having the mini loom that she used, I tried it, it must have been ten years or so ago (it was before she died even) and it was fiddly so I didn't do any more.

Well, I have searched the house high and low for it, to no avail.  I have literally spent hours and hours searching for it.  I went through all my craft stuff and all our cupboards but couldn't find it.

So next progression was to go searching for one to buy.  I discovered they were called 'Weave It'.



I found many on ebay and they were not cheap considering they were all old and used.  They ranged from $20 to $40+.  There were a couple on auction but they had bids on them with days to go. The above pictured one is a buy it now for $30

Finally I found one for a buy it now price of $20 but even though it seemed in excellent condition it was missing the 6" needle. I put in an offer of $14 for it and it was accepted so I bought it and found some needles on Amazon for $5.75, so still a complete set for less than $20 with extra needles also.

I eagerly await their arrival.

In hindsight I may have taken the original one to her in the nursing home after I had tried it and wasn't too successful with it, so it may yet turn up in her stuff when I eventually get around to going through it but meanwhile I will be able to continue on with the replacement one and add to her original squares to make something useful.  It is something I can sit and do at night now the nights are drawing in.

On a separate note, in my searching I did find some 'cool towels' I had purchased the year before last and put away for safe keeping.  They are those towels you dampen and put around your neck to keep cool.  A bit late for this year though!!!

3 comments:

  1. now what are you going to make with them I wonder, it would be lovely to have them put to use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Geez. Story of my life. I can never find stuff I want. I recently spent some time actually organizing and LABELING what is inside boxes in my craft room. I'll be interested to know how you like weaving on that little loom.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way it always goes. As soon as you buy what you can't find, you find it. The loom looks like a good way to use yarn leftovers.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.