I have fond memories of my Mum making it when we were little kids and I suspect her Mum used to make it too.
I haven't made one in many many years and I had a loaf of bread that needed using up. Documented the process in pictures. No particular recipe as all measurements are based on taste. First break up the bread into small pieces into a large bowl. Soak the bread in boiling water straight from the kettle. Beat it with a fork until it is all mixed into a pulp.
Add sugar until it tastes sweet enough for your taste. Add mixed spice the same way. I use English mixed spice as it is a little different to the North American "Allspice' and I prefer it. The more observant will notice that this went out of date in 2008 but it was a sealed sachet.
Add whatever dried fruit you want to use. I used raisins and about 12oz as I like dried fruit.
It is in the oven right now and smells delicious!
Posted this on FB too so cut and pasted the words, don't know why they are coming out with white round them! Arrgghh!!!!
It looks delicious, I haven't had bread pudding for awhile.
ReplyDeleteIt had been at least 14 years since I had made one! It is just as good as I remember.
DeleteThat takes me straight back to my childhood, warm bread pudding with apple sauce was a lunch time treat after a Saturday morning working in the garden.
ReplyDeleteMY Mum made it about once a month for us. We would get in from school and could smell it as soon as we walked in the door.
DeleteI can just imagine the smell, it's hubbies favourite 😋
ReplyDeleteI could still smell it last night, the smell had wafted into the bedroom.
Delete