So, we researched them and found that they are supposed to be beneficial healthwise and though why not give it a go. Nothing to lose except a bit of time and the cost of the beans.
This was the best video I found online on how to grow them.
How to grow Mung beansprouts
I am now on my third batch of growing, here are a couple of pictures of my second batch before I harvested them. They didn't grow as tall as the one's in the video but they taste great and they were plentiful. Enough to keep us going until the next batch is ready.
Have we noticed any changes? Well my husband thinks they are helping with his problems of constipation and I have noticed that I do not get indigestion at all if I have eaten some.
We eat about three small bowlfuls a day usually with or just after meals.
On a not so good note, when my husband was in the hospital the week before last some blood tests showed some liver function tests highly elevated so he has to have an ultra sound on his abdomen on Tuesday. I might add that he hadn't started on the beansprouts at the time the blood test was done. The first batch was growing while he was in the hospital. Hoping it is just a temporary reaction to the plasmatheresis treatments he had.
Will keep you updated.
I used to eat bean sprouts on my salads all the time. I don't know why I stopped. Growing your own is a good idea. Hopefully Tommy's test will go well and be OK. Terry takes drugs that can damage his liver and luckily his doc monitors that. He also has Kidney disease probably caused by meds he has taken in the past. It's very disheartening to take a drug to help one ailment, but have to worry about it's side effects.
ReplyDeletexx, Carol
Sorry to hear Terry has problems caused by medication. I am sure with the amount my husband takes that it must be messing something up. His diabetes has ramped up too lately. Hoping the beansprouts help, will keep growing them for a while to give it a chance. Take care both of you. XXXXX
Delete