So what is it that has got me all fired up?
A knitted Nativity scene.
One of the blogs I read had a set that the blogger had made. It is enchanting. As nowadays I much prefer knitting small items I thought this would be perfect for me to make and there would be no rush to complete it, after all Christmas is 11 months away!
So I set about googling and found a couple of books on the Alibris site, one was called "Knit the Christmas Story" by Jan Messant, I knew from the cover that this wasn't the same Nativity scene but it was a pattern book for a nativity.
Another was 'The Christmas Handbook" by Malcom Bird and Alan Dart. I knew that Alan Dart created patterns for toys etc. so I hoped it would contain the pattern for the nativity scene that the blogger had made. Sadly, it didn't but it is a charming book and it took me right back to Christmases as a child in the late 50's and early 60's.
I also found a third book which I knew would not have the pattern I was looking for but it did have some lovely patterns for knitted toys. This one was called "knitted Toys - 21 easy to knit patterns for irresistible soft toys" by Fiona McTague.
These books were all published in the 80's but are in excellent condition and definitely worth the money. Alibris is a used book site and the prices were very reasonable but the postage wasn't particularly cheap.
It cost under $7 for all three books but the postage was $11 so a total of $18.
After I had placed the order I found out that the patterns I was looking for were actually authored by Jean Greenhowe who has retired but still has a website with details of the booklets available and links to where the booklets can be ordered from. They are mostly in the UK.
On her site the details of the booklet Christmas Special show that the Nativity scene is included in the 28 page booklet as well as many other delightful Christmas things to knit and I found a supplier who sold it. BUT, there is always a BUT isn't there? On this supplier's site the booklet does not show the Nativity scene but it does show all the other items listed on the Jean Greenhowe site and it does have 28 pages. So, I ordered it in the hope that it has the scene included and it was an error on the part of the supplier to not show it. So another $11.
So now the total is up to $29 spent and I still am not 100% sure I will get the patterns I am looking for.
Now for the good BUT! I have the book 'Knit the Christmas Scene' I bought mentioned above and I can access pictures of the Nativity scene I want on the Jean Greenhowe site so I am sure I can modify the patterns in my book to look like hers. At least I have a guide as to number of stitches and rows etc. from my book.
And if all else fails I can download the Alan dart version of the Nativity scene from his website for 2.50 UKP.
Meanwhile, while waiting for the Christmas Special booklet to arrive, I have started knitting a cute monkey from the Fiona McTague book.
I know this is a long winded post but I wanted to get it recorded for when I need to look back on what transpired.
I admit to being a little like that as is my MIL. She decided once that she wanted to get into cross stitch, had certain patterns in mind and went on to buy every colour of DMC floss, only to decide she'd had enough! Luckily she gave them to me! I've seen a nativity pattern in one of the knit magazines from the UK. Can't for the life of me remember when. I hope you manage the project for next year!
ReplyDeleteAre the projects like the monkey easy? I haven't been knitting long and they always seem so intimidating!
This particular pattern is rated 2 by the author. She rates her patterns 1, 2 or three. As a beginner doing the face shapings might cause a bit of head scratching but not prohibitive. The legs, arms and body are quite simple so by tbe time those are done your confidence levels would have soared. You do great craft projects, I do not see this type of knitting pattern causing you problems.
DeleteMy late Mother in Law knitted that nativity scene, it had pride of place every year. She also knitted many of the other Jean Greenhowe figues and created a scene with a large mirror and cotton wool snow. I am not a toy knitter but there are some tempting patterns out there.
ReplyDeleteOh yes for sure. Even if when the booklet arrives it is missing the nativity figures I will knit some of the other things.
DeleteI have just checked out the Christmas Special book, it does contain the Nativity figures, so all should be well.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I really appreciate you checking that out for me.
DeleteI collect knitting and crochet patterns these days , im sure ive seen the nativity scene from jean greenhowe in a pile of Womens Weekly from the 80s somewhere ...with me somewhere is a very large collection..lol
ReplyDeletePlease do not trouble yourself to look on my behalf. The previous commenter Elaine checked out the booklet and says the Nativity figures are indeed included.
ReplyDelete