Monday, March 20, 2023

Now for something completely different.... No it's not about cards today!

 Last year, it must have been around April or May we went to a local Swap Meet.  I bought the red gingham curtains there that I recently altered to fit one of our bedrooms.  I also bought something I had always wanted but could never justify the cost of. A food slicer!  It is something I had wanted for years and years.  Well I saw one at this swap meet.  It was priced at $15.  I offered $10, we haggled back and forth and I ended up paying $13 for it.  I didn't fare too well in that deal lol.

Anyway, I bought it home, checked it out, cleaned and sanitised it and put it away.  

As you know Friday was St. Patrick's day and we always have corned beef and cabbage.  Here in the US corned beef is a piece of beef, usually brisket, that has been infused with spices and goodness knows what else which makes it red and salty.  I boil it for many hours, (with the additional spices that come with it) to make it nice and tender.  With about an hour to go I throw in a cabbage that has been quartered, potatoes, onions and carrots.  Totally delicious.  I slice up some of the beef to eat with the dinner then we use the rest to make Reuben sandwiches for a couple of days.

I had forgotten all about the slicer at Christmas for the pork and Friday and Saturday too for the corned beef but got it out Sunday to slice up the meat and cheese for the Reubens.  This shows it just as I was finishing the last batch of cheese. Afterwards I cleaned and sanitised it again and put it back up until next time.  




As you can see it slices very well, I vote it a success! It isn't something I would use for just a cheese sandwich but I might slice up my next block of cheese in one go.  That would be worth all the effort of getting it out and cleaning it all up afterwards. It isn't a really high dollar one either but it is perfectly adequate for anything I might want to use it for and it was very nice  to eventually use one.  

Bet you're glad this post wasn't about cards again eh?  But, be warned, I am working on our anniversary ones and I have new cutting dies!!!



4 comments:

  1. If I had a larger family instead of just me, I might invest in a meat slicer - you can get such economical slices from it.
    I grate big blocks of cheese for the freezer - it saves so much time in the longer term.
    I love your card posts, by the way! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I always appreciate you commenting. It has been such a drawn out winter that making cards has been a good distraction. We are both having health issues right now so it is nice that my husband can work on publishing his stories and I can work on cards. Nothing too strenuous but we still feel productive. Love your daily posts, we are so isolated here (our choice) but it is like having neighbours with my blog friends and keeping up with all the news.

      Delete
  2. Hello Maureen. That slicer looks so good for beautiful thin slices of meat and anything else you want thin slices of. Hope you enjoyed celebrating St Patrick's Day. I loved seeing your cards too. Sending best wishes from my small corner x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you can adjust the width of the slices too. I find I eat way too much cheese if I slice it by hand so to be able to do nice thin slices is a bonus.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.