I am a frugal type of person, always have been but as I get older I have become slower and less able and less inclined to be so. One example is 'bologne'. Not the really cheap and nasty stuff but a good brand beef bologne. We would enjoy a sandwich or bun with bologne, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise now and then. A packet weighs 1lb and has 16 slices and I would split it into packs of 4 slices and freeze 3 and use one that day. But when the price went up recently to over $7 for said packet I said "No more!"
I can buy half leg of ham on the bone for $20 and so I did just that on Monday. Today I cut it up. I got out my meat slicer, (the one I got a couple of years ago from a local swap meet) and cut off 4 big pieces that would fit on the slicer and sliced away.
We ate ham for lunch today and I wrapped and froze 8 packets of ham for sandwiches, 4 packets of thick sliced ham for breakfasts, a big packet of ham chunks to go with scalloped potatoes and the bone which had plenty of meat left on it with some more ham chumps for soup. The dog also got a lot of ham scraps.
The soup will give us 4 meals as I use a large slow cooker, the ham and scalloped potatoes 3 meals, again I cook in the slow cooker so with todays meal and the sandwiches and breakfasts we will get 20 meals from this piece of ham so $1 a meal for delicious ham on the bone. Can't beat that. So long bologne!!!
Now it took a couple of hours to process all that and clear up afterwards but well worth the effort.
We have had an awful lot of storms and rain this past week or so with more to come but the local lakes were beginning to get low and the aquafers will also benefit. The trees, plants and flowers look magnificent now and the grass has gotten so tall and we had already started mowing it.
I have started knitting a baby blanket. My grand daughter back in England is expecting again. She has had a bad pregnancy and has had to stay off her feet so she doesn't go into early labour. Her first baby boy was born at 28 weeks so they have kept a strict eye on her this time. She has gotten past 32 weeks now which is absolutely marvelous and they are having another boy. Her first boy is now 3 years old. Time flies.
I have my machines all packed up ready for when we sell the house so it is a hand knitted blanket this time.
Hope all is good in your worlds.
XXXXX



It's been a long time since we had bologna... never was my favorite though the kids liked it in their lunchboxes and liked a sandwich fried with a melted cheese slice on top and mayo and mustard. We had to remember to cut the slice at the edge so it didn't curl when frying!!
ReplyDeleteThank you SO much for following my blog and saying those nice things! I really appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteI'll be visiting, often!
Hugs
Donna