At the weekend I started on the hats and neck warmers for our hunting friends. I made a very nice hunter green hat on Saturday. My husband said it wouldn't be any good for the hunters though as by this time of year the leaves have all turned brown and that's when they hunt. Luckily, I have some lighter brown and tan yarn so I made a hat and a neck warmer yesterday and will make the same again today. Then I will be finished making knitted gifts. Decided to forego on the mittens as I am running out of time. (Again, pictures after Christmas. Don't know who reads my blog so don't need them getting a sneak preview).
I do now however have a nice hunter green hat. That will be the first thing I have knitted for myself. I will make a green and red pom pom for it and it will be my Christmas hat.
Now, back to the Brother XL 703 sewing machine. It has been needling me that it isn't working. I now have the manual so really wanted to get it to work. No matter what I was doing to it though, it kept snapping the cotton and the fabric was moving to the right and getting scrunched up. Was the feeder thing broken maybe and that was the cause?
Yesterday, after finishing knitting, I took another look. I un-threaded the machine and ran the fabric through it and the fabric went nice and straight so it wasn't the feeder.
After a lot of testing I isolated the cause. It was the lever that goes up and down that the cotton goes through before it goes down to the needle. It had been pushed against the frame and was catching the thread and not allowing it to be pulled through and was snapping the cotton where it was threaded through the needle. I pushed the lever away from the frame and amazingly it stayed there and is now sewing well.
I didn't get chance to try everything in the manual but I did try a few of the stitches and they worked just fine. I am so happy happy happy. After I am done with Christmas preps I will sit down and go through the manual and try all the different processes. That will probably be a New Year project as I still have a ton of things to do for Christmas.
| The blue stitching was done on the brother XL 703 |
No comments:
Post a Comment
As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.