Monday, December 28, 2015

I did get to play!

I did find some time yesterday to play with my new Big Shot machine. I have realised that things like this and my sewing and knitting machines are actually my toys and using them is my playtime.

I know they are functional and make useful things but the truth of the matter is I really enjoy using them.  Sometimes, when I only have a few moments I will get some scrap fabric and sew, trying out the different stitches.  Using my machines is pure enjoyment for me.  So, that's why I have deemed them to be toys.  I guess I am still a kid at heart even though when I look in the mirror I see otherwise!

So yesterday, I tried doing embossing and cutting out.

I have some Christmas cards that I will never send so they were perfect to try the embossing on and make cut outs from.

I even progressed to felt and cut out my first gingerbread man ready to sew.

When I first tried it I misunderstood the instructions, I thought that you placed the 'sandwich' in between the flaps.  So I placed it on the third section then folded the flaps back over.  Needless to say it wouldn't go through the roller.  A quick search on Youtube pointed out the error of my ways.  The big dies do not go on the removable platform either.  I sussed it eventually.

I opted for the plain white one as when we purchased it, it was on sale.  I really liked the pretty ones but this one apparently is the latest model.

Embossing, my husband and I both agreed that the snowmen looked better from the back.

The gingerbread man came with a Merry Christmas cut out as a bonus!

My felt gingerbread man

The machine in all it's glory


I have a couple of other dies I haven't tried yet, a snowman and a Santa head.  One step at a time.

Now I am on the look out for some dies for shapes like squares and circles.  Will wait for them to come on sale, I have plenty to be working on right now.

I really love this machine.

Merry Christmas to me!





2 comments:

  1. Dear Maureen, oh I smiled and remembered the fun of using this wonderful bit of kit...way to go girl, you will hit the ground running and have such fun honey... Don't forget to post though because I will be patiently waiting to see what you have been up to...xxx Maria. Oh and have a wonderful New Year .xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try all sorts of things. Don't really do quilting, I have only ever made one and that was last year. A baby quilt for our newest grandbaby. But maybe I might do more if I can cut out the squares more easily. I am never going to venture into the complicated quilting. I have so many things I want to do first, but maybe I will make another baby quilt with just squares if more grandbabies come along. Maybe a great grandbaby or two also one day, who knows?

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.