For all the time I have been doing leatherwork, about four + years now, I have struggled to get the letters lined up straight when doing a name or initials..
I put it down to me being not careful enough when doing it.
For Christmas, my husband got me a tool that Tandy had bought out which is a stamp guide. This means you can set the letters/stamps up and fit the guide around it and tighten it to keep them all straight. A perfect solution......or so I hoped.
Today, I got to spend some time in the workshop working on Maggie's new collar. Everything went wonderfully well except the lettering.
I used the stamp guide but it seems that all of the letters are not placed centrally on their individual stamps so even if you have the stamps all lined up in the guide (as I did) the letters are still not straight.......Arrgghh!!!!!
The 'A' and the 'I' are out of alignment. At least it wasn't all my fault this time. Had I realised this I could have at least got the 'I' more in line by turning it around. You have to get the stamps placed correctly for the letters to be correct but the 'I' is the same either way. They are individually marked on the back so you can tell which way to put them, I will have to remember about the 'I' in future. Also I pressed too hard on the 'I' and got the shape of the stamp imprinted. That was entirely my fault.
I am happy with the rest of the stamping especially since it has been a while since I did any. My husband will now work his magic and stain it, then I will attach the billet set and it will be done.
A few days late for her 2nd birthday but she did also get a new throwing toy on the day so she wasn't a deprived puppy.
Gosh, I punched leather YEARS ago. But I still remember how hard it was to keep the stamps in line. That was in the 70s and we actually had a Tandy store here, though I can't remember where. Even if the letters are a little off, your stamping is beautiful.
ReplyDeletexx, Carol