Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Trying to make a positive out of the negative of Covid

Because of Covid we are not getting out much.  I am missing some person to person interaction.  Online chat is nice but it's not quite the same.  Grateful for it though in these times.

As we won't be moving anytime soon, I have been able to work on my sewing room and get out my knitting machines again.  I have been busy sorting through my knitting machine stuff and organising it better. Oh, and I might have, sort of, possibly, well actually did......buy another one!  It was on FB Marketplace and it came with a garter carriage.  It was a risky buy because the seller didn't know much about it, they had purchased the machine and garter carriage with the intent of using them but never did. So it was untested but really cheap so worth the risk.

It works, I had to give it a good cleaning and oiling and have ordered a new sponge bar for it.  I tried it with an old sponge bar I had and it does knit OK but it needs a better one for sure.  The garter carriage moves along the rails. It is operated by electricity.  Haven't knitted with it yet because it didn't have a needle, have ordered that too. 

They must have not been used for quite a while but they work so all is good.

Looking forward to using the garter carriage, I have never had one before. You can knit both plain and purl on the same row with it so can do rib and patterning with it and do not need a ribber.

Will update with pictures when the parts arrive and I give it a try.

Stay safe everyone.





3 comments:

  1. Definitely not the same thing. My MIL is waiting on her second vaccine and then maybe (with precautions) she's thinking about going out and visiting some craft shops.

    Your comment about your new acquisition made me laugh. We've got to at least try to see the good in things otherwise I think we'd all be crying more than we are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used a knitting machine before, I certainly like the idea of one but the cost is a little off putting. Its the lack of human contact I am missing the most, although I am thankful for technology keeping us together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you re your purchase. I'm so glad it works well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with it now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.