Thursday, March 31, 2022

Card making on a budget and useful tips

Any one who reads my blog will know I have been making my Christmas cards for a while. Recently I decided to start making other cards too.

We gave an anniversary coming up so that was a good time to start.

Nice cards cost a lot these days so it is sensible to make them. The problem is I do not have many dies for birthdays and the like.

It is easy to fall into the trap of buying lots of card making supplies but that negates the money saving aspect.  For Christmas cards I recycle Christmas cards received in other years. I cut out pictures and greetings and I also use the thinlets dies to cut out the Greetings cut-outs from old cards as you can see below.



Hardly any one sends birthday cards these days so I do not have a stash of old birthday cards to use so I am short of materials for birthday cards. I am trying to be inventive. I have some old  blank white cards so I am cutting them in half and embossing each piece to use as a background to use on the brown blank cards I bought recently. They were 100 for $18 so 18 cents for a 5 x 7 card and self seal envelope. I think that is very reasonable. I did find an old Easter card we received many years ago so I used it to do a thinlets 'with love' die cut to put on one of the anniversary cards I am making. The other card I am using die cuts of various words that I have a die for. This die has many words suitable for birthday or anniversary cards. I used the backs of a couple of old Christmas cards to cut the words out of.



To complete these I will add some bling from the pot of foil shapes I bought years ago and will last for years to come.



I will buy some card stock at some point to use but for now I will try and use what I already have.  I have saved a foil packet that some chocolates came in to use with the dies.

I have ordered a couple of cheapie dies from Amazon that come from China, the delivery date is at least 5 weeks though but the price is right!

Now for the tips:-

Gluing the very flimsy die cuts to the card is very fiddly and messy and you can see glue residue on the card sometimes as you can see below.


This bothers me so I watched a lot of you tube videos for ideas. One suggested double sided adhesive sheets that you adhere to the card before you make the cut then peel off the backing after they are cut and are then self adhesive. This sounds great but the sheets are very expensive.

Another suggested using glue that dries matt.  This made me wonder if glitter glue would work? At the very least if there was residue it would be glittery and look nice. I had some glitter glue I bought years ago and it was still good so I tried it on some scrap card and used a pointy leather tool to apply it and it worked great. Too late for the anniversary cards but good for future endeavors.

Now for tip 2. This one I found on a you tube video and thought I would pass it on.

When you use thinlets dies that are intricate there are a lot of pieces that you have to pop out of the cut. This is messy and fiddly to do. They suggest getting 4 dryer sheets, flatten them out on top of each other then fold in half.  Then roll the die with the cut still in it on top of the folded sheets through the machine and all the bits will stick to the dryer sheets and the cut will come out of the die perfectly. Now I have yet to try this but it worked on the video's.

Well, if you are not interested in card making this is a very boring post so apologies but I wanted to record my progress.

















2 comments:

  1. I must admit that I have been caught by the collecting papers and supplies bug. Now I have to declutter. It is easy to get carried away. My favourite card making supplies (especially when in England) are found at The Works with their die cutting pads. I also enjoy (both while in England and in the US) finding papercrafting magazines with the 'free' gifts. Not the cheapest but there are sometimes some lovely designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been tempted for sure but right now we are having to do some repairs on the house and that is eating up a lot of cash so being frugal is a necessity. But I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of recycling to create things. I did buy three different colors of glitter glue, they were only 88 cents a bottle in Walmart and the same brand as the one I had which I know is good as I have had it for a few years. It was a guilty pleasure lol.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.