Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Morel Mushrooms

Here in the Midwest Morel mushrooms can be found in the hedgerows this time of year.  They are only around for a few weeks at most. They are a much sought after commodity and if you wanted to buy some they would cost a fortune.

A neighbour bought some up to us quite a few years ago and I did not have a clue what to do with them.

You have to remember that I was born a city girl, grew up a city girl and only discovered country living 18 years ago and I am in my mid 70's now.  So my first introduction to these mushrooms were 'OMG they look like they came out of the sea.' They are hollow and rubbery to the touch.



I had no idea what to do with them so I just fried them up.  The verdict was 'I don't know what all the fuss is about.'

I thanked my neighbour but told him I was not that impressed.  He asked how I had cooked them and I told him.  He just about fell off his chair with laughing. He told me how they should be cooked but I had to wait another year before I could put his theory into practice. I think he couldn't quite fathom out this quirky lady from England living in the middle of Redneck land lol.

Sadly our neighbour died a few years ago but his son goes out and picks them.  He has a real knack for finding them and if he gets more than he and his family need then he brings some down to us. This year we have been very lucky, he has bought us two bags.

So here is the correct way to cook Morel mushrooms:-

Wash and make sure all the water is out of them.
Cut off the bottoms of the stalks. and throw away. (I said they looked like they came out of the ocean!)


Cut them in half lengthwise unless they are very small in which case leave them whole.



Dip them in beaten egg, then smother them in seasoned flour.


Heat up some cooking oil in a frying pan then fry them until they are brown and crispy on one side then turn and fry the other side.



Today I served these with some fried ham off the bone and eggs but you can serve them with anything really or just eat them as a starter.



It took awhile to get the process right but now I know why they are so sought after and deemed to be a delicacy.







2 comments:

  1. They cost $30 to $50 per pound here in the Kansas City area on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I have ever had morels. I do like chestnut mushrooms though! xx

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.