Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Advice needed

I have had problems with my ribber from the offset.  I have a Studio SK700 and a SRP50 ribber.  I know that the SRP60N will also work with my machine.

Is there a difference between the two and if so, what is it?

I know that the YC5 has to be used with the SRP50 and the YC6 has to be used with the SRP60N.  Why are they not interchangeable?

I have tried using the YC5  but I go large loops on the side that the color changes?  Any ideas anyone?

I am thinking of changing the ribber to an SRP60N, is it a better ribber?

I am getting pretty frustrated with the ribber problems I encounter.

Would I be wasting my money to change ribbers and color changers?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen - Sorry to hear you are having problems. First of all you CAN use the YC5 and YC6 with the SRP50. It isnt to do with the ribber you use - the only difference between the 2 is that the YC6 is both a double bed and single bed colour changer whereas the YC5 is only to use with double bed work. It doesnt matter what ribber you have. I have the YC6 and use it with my SRP60 ribber yet I could also use a YC5 if I wanted to. I think the reason you are getting loops on the side of the changer isnt to do with the ribber or the changer - they should work fine together. It may be that they are not threaded properly or you need to check the tension of the yarns coming out of the changer going up to the tension masts. If the tension is correct then when you change colour the slack should be taken up by the tension mast. I wouldnt bother changing ribber - the SRP60N doesnt really do anything different than the 50. I have the SRP60 - the 60N was brought out after because there were some teething errors with the 60, especially when attaching to the main bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, you always have such good advice. I will try adjusting the tension on the rod.

      So could I use a YC6 with my SRP50 ribber?

      I think I need to make something simple again and stop trying to be an expert. I get pretty frustrated with my thwarted attempts at trying to use the ribber to do big pieces and fancier ribbing.

      I so like the look of rib done with the colour changer but I need to slow down and get a few more simple things under my belt.

      I think that knitting machines and ribbers etc. are pretty technical and the mechanics are quite complex. You younger guys seem to have no trouble with them though. Think I came back into this at a too old age lol.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. No problem Maureen - you will get there! Yes you can use the YC6 with the SRP50 it only really matters really with which machine you use... not the ribber!

    I was hopeless with the ribber at first but time and practice you get there...

    I dont know if you will be interested but Metropolitan in England do Correspondence courses for machine knitting... I have done 2 of them, one of which was the ribber course. I would very much recommend it to you as it really got me working with the ribber confidently, and I learnt so many techniques with the ribber. They do it for overseas customers too, so it may be something for you to consider?

    Take a look

    http://metropolitanmachineknitting.co.uk/correspondence/

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.