Monday, August 20, 2012

I bought another knitting machine! It is an investment, could this be the start of something big lol?

I had been looking on ebay recently and saw a machine the same as mine for sale, it is a Singer  model 700 complete with SRP60N ribber and LC2 lace carriage. ( I have been wanting the lace carriage forever but they are $380 new and the only used ones I have seen haven't had the accessories with them.)  It has all the manuals and accessories.  Not sure about the punchcards and pattern set though as I couldn't see them on the photographs.  I did ask but the seller didn't know much about it.

She  said she had never used the ribber and had only made a couple of dishcloths on the machine.

So I don't know if she bought it all used (second hand) and had never really got into it or had bought it all new and never got into it.  There is a puncher included so punchcards must have figured in it somewhere along the line in it's history.

IT looks in excellent condition with no discolouration

The starting price was $250 with $200 shipping.  The seller lives only 50 miles away so I had asked if we could just pick it up if we bid on it and won and she said that was OK.  So I had an advantage as the $200 shipping costs was a big put off I imagine.

I watched it all week and no one bid on it till Saturday.  (it ended Sunday at 3pm).  There was one bidder at $250 until Sunday noon when someone came in at $255.

I waited right until the last minute (literally, there was 60 seconds left) when I put in a bid for $260 but as one of the previous bidders had put in the same amount as her max bid, then she had priority, so I had been out bid.

It was panic time as time was ticking down.  I put in $265 with a max bid of $306.99 and pressed the bid button with just four seconds to go and I won it at $265. You can have no idea how stressful it is to me to bid on ebay.  My heart was a pounding away lol.  I wasn't even sure if I had won it or not at first but I had. Phew!!!!

I haven't paid for it yet as I am waiting for them to adjust the invoice and take off the shipping costs.

When I get it I will check it all out, test it etc.  I will try the new ribber with my original machine and the original ribber with the new machine and the new ribber with the new machine.  Whatever I feel is the best fit for me I will keep then sell whichever machine and ribber I don't want.

I have been looking on ebay a lot at machines for sale so have a good idea how to present them to their best advantage to get the best price.

I think I can recoup what I paid by selling a machine and a ribber so I will have gotten the lace carriage out of the deal.


I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.