Because of time restraints to machine knit I have decided to do some hand knitting. We usually sit down for an hour or so at night to watch TV so I thought I could knit by hand again. This is what I used to do before getting my machines. I have wrestled with going back to hand knitting when I have three knitting machines which knit so much faster but when you consider that I haven't completed anything on them in over a year then that argument seem a tad futile. So I found a pattern to knit for my 6 yr old grand daughter. I owe her an item as I made the two grandsons the vests I blogged about earlier.
I love the pattern I have found but it will be a challenge as it is knitted all in one from the neck down. Usually I knit the back and fronts separately from the bottom up. So something a bit different. I bought the yarn and found the pattern online. I had all the listed needles except one set of double pointed needles size 6 but I can pick them up on my next trip into town. They are not needed straight away. Also the main body is knitted on those weird needles attached by wire. I have never used those before either so it will be interesting! Fortunately, I inherited a supply of those type of needles from my mum in law along with some sets of double pointed ones.
My grand daughter is 6 and a half and it will probably take me a few months to knit so I am making it in size 8. They usually come to visit at the end of June when she will be almost 7 so the size 6 would be too small. Also they live in California so the short sleeves are perfect for her.
I am excited to start this project but also sad that I won't be making it on the machine.
Also the weather is beginning to warm up so we will be able to get out to the workshop again to make some leather things. It has been a long winter and our workshop is too big to heat so we don't get out there to work. Working on leather is something my husband can do sitting down. On the upside, the chemo treatment seems to be working and he is regaining some of his strength. We have managed over the winter to do some much needed plumbing jobs and some rewiring. This fulfills his need to be doing things but not so much mine. He suffers greatly after working a couple of hours but his self esteem is bolstered.
I like my knitting, sewing and leather work. That's where I get my satisfaction. As my blog title says.....'I like making things'
No comments:
Post a Comment
As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.