Monday, April 13, 2015

Back to the knitting needles and a little soul searching.

We really need to simplify our lives, my husband and I, but we don't seem willing to do it. We live on 20 acres which takes a lot of tending to. Our house needs working on. My husband's computer has been playing up. His internet radio station takes a lot of work. His health isn't good so we spend a lot of time going back and forth to hospitals and doctors. He is also diabetic so he has to eat frequently. I am getting really stiff and achey. Putting it bluntly, we are getting old and really don't need to be here anymore. But neither of us wants to leave. So we keep going and doing what we can, when we can.

This means I don't get the time I would like to spend on my sewing and knitting machines. Does this sound whiney? Yes it does. Does it sound selfish? Yes it does. So I am trying to compromise.

We recently found out our new grandbaby who is due in a couple of weeks is going to be a girl. So I bought some really pretty pink baby yarn and dug deep into my patterns stash and found the knitting pattern I used to hand knit a baby jacket for their eldest daughter which they really liked and got a lot of wear out of. Hand knitting is much more flexible.  I can pick it up when I have any free time and put it down at anytime.




I really love the colour of this yarn, It is a huge hank. It says you can draw from the centre but I couldn't find the loose end. It was like cleaning out a turkey lol. I had my hand inside feeling around for a loose end but to no avail. So I am unwinding from the outside.

I got started on it yesterday. I am using circular needles as you knit the two fronts and back in one piece. Already I have made mistakes. The first one when I forgot to turn the knitting and knitted the whole row before I realised. When I got to the end it was joined to the beginning!!!!!!!  I plead starting the first row of the quite complicated pattern so that I didn't notice I was working on the wrong side. Sounds better than silly old lady getting it wrong.

The second mistake was on the third row of the pattern which involves doing cables and also a lot of knitting 4 tog and yarn over needles. I forgot some of the yon's. Of course I didn't realise this until I was doing the fourth row and didn't have the right amount of stitches. Arrgghh!!!!  I cheated and picked up loops from the previous row. Not sure if that will work, time will tell on that one. I may end up starting all over again yet.

1 comment:

  1. I undid it back to the stocking stitch border. I didn't want to start off with a mistake. I have knitted 7 rows now which includes two rows of the pattern that has the k4tog and all the slip stitches and I know where I went wrong before so should be OK from here on.

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.