Thursday, May 28, 2015

Too long between machine knitting sessions!

I found some time today to get up to my knitting machine.  A couple of hours.  If all had gone well I could have got the other front skirt part done in that time but it wasn't to be.

Cast on went wonky first and second time. Probably user error!

Third time cast on was OK. Got up to the row of holes to realise I had one two many stitches.

Could have dealt with that but then I forgot to return the needles to the working position after transferring the stitches and knitting one row to make the holes so got ladders instead.

If it hadn't have been so long since I last knitted I would have remembered, at least, to return the needles.

Fourth time all went well, casted on, made holes, turned up hem then proceeded to knit in tuck stitch.

Same problem as last time, the tuck stitch wasn't coming out right.

Upon inspection and evaluation (before taking it off the needles in frustration) I noticed a lever on the back of the needle bed underneath and to the right of where you insert the punch card.  Decided to see how the carriage effected it.  It was then I realised the problem.

I am using knit radar and knitting from the left side of the knit radar sheet so all my needles in use were left of the centre.  When I was knitting left to right I wasn't taking the carriage far enough right to allow the lever to pass fully underneath the carriage and engage whatever it engages.

I tried a few more rows taking the carriage further to the right and it knitted just fine.

I also had a talk to my knitting machine.  Her name is Betsy and sometimes she gets a little offstride and in a huff.  I told her that she didn't have to be jealous of the new sewing machine and that because we had a new grandbaby she would get plenty of use.

Hopefully will find the time tomorrow to try again while it is all fresh in my mind and Betsy will be be in a good mood.


1 comment:

  1. Got the second front made today. Not without problems but all user error! Got the skirt part done straight off but made mistakes with the bodice part a couple of times. Had to undo twice but third time was a charm. Sleeves next.

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.