Friday, February 17, 2017

Some progress on the sewing machine cabinet today

I had originally planned to do something on the cabinet yesterday but I was just too worn out from the trip to Columbia the day before.  I do not know why it always wears me out but it does. Wednesday was a bit busier than usual because we had two appointments and I did some running around in the stores in between.

First I went to Home Depot to get some veneer.  I had researched it online and theirs was the best price and they had some in the Columbia store.  I walked the length of the store twice and then some in my bid to find it .  Next was Sam's Club to pick up supplies.  Again, another huge store and a lot of walking.  Back to the hospital for second appointment then the three hour drive home stopping at Walmart to pick up our belated Valentine's presents for each other and a few more groceries.  Home to unpack everything then bed.

So yesterday was a bit of a chill and recovery day.

Today however I have been busy.  It is a beautiful day here and it was very pleasant to be in the workshop.  The new heat gun arrived this morning.  It is a better brand than the previous one but only came in a cardboard box.  With a bit of modification to the old one's plastic container I got it to fit in it nicely.



I finished removing the old veneer and sanded down the top ready for the new veneer.


Next I had to remove the temporary fix that someone had done to the cracked frame. That was the hardest job of the day.  I had to unscrew from underneath and kept catching my hands and arms on a thin cotter pin and have scratches all over them.  I eventually found a screw driver with a thin enough head that I could manipulate upside down plus I was not able to see to undo the screws that were in there crooked.  I got it done though eventually.

Next I had to glue the crack in the frame.  I am also going to attach a strip of metal underneath but I wanted to glue the wood first.



I had bought a strip of metal to do this and my husband cut a couple of pieces of it to place above and below the crack so I could put the clamps on it.  This will need to dry for 24 hours. I wiped off all the surplus glue I could see so I hope the metal won't stick to the frame.

Next will be marking and drilling holes in the strip for the hinges to go through that attach the machine to the frame and also some holes to put some screws in to attach the metal strip to the underneath of the frame so when I take the machine out the strip won't fall down.

After that I will attempt to do the veneer.  Once it is on staining and sealing it will be easy but I am a little worried that I won't get it exactly the right size.  I believe it is easy to trim so as long as the piece is exact or a little bigger I should be OK on that.





2 comments:

  1. I really admire your ability to renovate the machine and cabinet and having the knowledge and desire to do it. I'm not great in the workshop.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I have wanted a treadle machine since i was a kid. There wasn't really the necessity before as I have always had a sewing machine or two. I do worry about what would happen if we lost power for any length of time though so have been keeping an eye out for one that wasn't outrageous in price and in working condition even if it needed some tlc and a good cleaning and oiling. This one fit the bill perfectly so I dragged my poor husband out to buy it as he knows KC well and I am clueless lol. I am really enjoying this project and can't wait to get it put back together and try it.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.