Thursday, February 23, 2017

two steps back but then three steps forward

Today I went to to the workshop to work on the cabinet. I was upset to see that the veneer had raised up in a few places. I set about ironing it back down again but this time applying the heat for longer. It took awhile and now hopefully it is all stuck down.

I also trimmed it to fit, at first I tried using an Exacto knife, with a new blade, but that was splintering the veneer. Then I went to the new long bladed tin snips we had bought when doing the camper reno. They trimmed it almost to the edge then I was able to sand it so it was flush.

I covered it and placed a marble top on it to hold it down while the glue was setting. In hindsight I should have done this yesterday. I sanded down two of the main body of the cabinet's corners that had been scuffed and applied some stain.  They look much better. Other than the top and these two corners the cabinet is in very good condition considering it's age.

I cleaned the metal treadle framework the best I could and gave it a good oiling including the little metal wheels. The treadle just hums along now and it doesn't squeak when you push the cabinet. The metalwork is in very good condition and I couldn't see any rust anywhere on it.

I found a manual for this exact machine on ebay.  I had downloaded one from the internet but it was for a later model.  The one on ebay is in quite worn condition so I will photocopy it then keep it somewhere safe where it won't get any more worn and use the photocopied one for reference. It has been mailed so should get it in a few days.

I am also keeping an eye out for a set of the original accessories that came with the machine but they are just a 'want' and not a 'need' at this point in time.

And the big bonus of the day is I know how I am going to fit it into my sewing room without too much upheaval.  It came to me in a flash, one of those lightbulb moments! I have two two drawer filing cabinets in my room with a worktop sat on top which makes a desk for my Singer Sewmate. Bingo! if I take to worktop off the treadle machine will sit in there nicely and it is under the window so will get light.  I can use the Sewmate on top of the treadle cabinet when it is closed or I have other places I can use it.

Now to see who I can find to help me get it up the stairs when it is done.........

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sure glad the renovation went well. What a sense of accomplishment you must be feeling now.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited, the end is in sight. Tha manual arrived today, it is in very delicate condition but the seller did state that so it was expected. I photocopied it and put it back in the packaging as he had done a great job. I will put it away for posterity, it really belongs in a museum, it must be over 100 years old.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.