I know I was new to this model and make of machine and it was 20+ years since I used a knitting machine but I don't think it can be all user error I am experiencing.
Today I was positive and eager to knit and get this jacket underway. I had done the new swatches, picked a pattern and new colours.
I casted on and did the ribbing. That went great. Even the casting on was perfect. Usually I have to use the hook tool to put a few stitches on the needles when it doesn't do a perfect ziz zag but today, I think, for the first time ever, it was perfect. I was glowing. I transferred the needles onto the main bed and set it all up for the tuck stitch. I got all the right settings, did my remembering row and set the carriage to tuck, remembered to change the punchcard to move. I had the side levers back. I was ready!
This time it started a few rows in to gather too many stitches on a couple of needles. But not the same needles as it had done it before. I knew this because I had made a note of the needles where it happened before. The only saving grace, I guess, was that I didn't get all the way up to the shaping before it went awry.
So I took it all off and pondered on what the problem could be.
When I bought it in June the lady told me it had just been fitted with a new sponge bar and I had no reason to disbelieve her but in desperation to find an answer I decided to check it out.
That meant dismantling the ribber which was a shame as it was working great, but I did it and took out the sponge bar. It was, as she had told me, like brand new. So that wasn't the problem.
I looked at all my needles closely. I can't see ant bent ones. So, I put back the sponge bar. I decided to do a swatch in the tuck stitch before I put the ribber back on.
It did great, no dropped stitches or broken yarn which is what happens after too many stitches gather on the needle.
So, I started thinking that maybe, somehow, having the ribber attached caused a problem. Couldn't for the life of me see why, but hey I am getting desperate for answers now!
Then I thought about my swatches. Every time I have done a swatch it has been perfect.
What was the difference? The swatch didn't have any ribbing.
Maybe I am leaving on too many weights as I have been leaving on the big ribber weights.
So, I put the ribber back on. It didn't line up right so the ribbing was dropping stitches. I followed the instruction from the manual to the letter too.
I re-sited the ribber and tried again and this time the ribbing was good. I did 24 rows of rib then transferred the stitches onto the main bed. I took the weights off of the cast on comb and just hung claw weights at the sides of the knitting. I then proceeded to do some tuck stitch which worked perfectly.
Have I hit on the solution or will I go back to it next time will it do it's silliness again?????
I ran out of time today and tomorrow we have to go to Columbia for a hospital appointment for my husband so it will be Thursday before I get back to it.
I can't remember my machines of the past ever being this temperamental. I only ever remember fitting my ribber on the machine once and it worked perfectly from the get go.
I made sweaters on my last machine using tuck stitch and big sizes too not just small sizes like I am making now. I am wary of starting anything big on this machine.
So to summarize, to date I have had problems from the get go. Some were definitely user error, like the casting on problems, but Phil put me right on that and it works like a charm now.
The ribbing problems are a case of getting sited perfectly and I am getting better at doing that now.
The fair-isle problems I had on my last sweater were due to the different punch card I was using which was shorter and stiffer than the usual ones and once I re-punched a card with the same pattern it worked perfectly.
So I have been able to come up with solutions so far but this one has me beat and totally disheartened.
I don't want to give up. I am not a welcher. I am a great perseverer but I am out of ideas on how to make it work. I don't want to just knit plain knitting and fair-isle garments.
My knitter blogging friends make tuck stitch garments so I know I should be able to do it. They don't seem to have the problems I do.. I am sure my knitting carriage is functioning properly and I put all new brushes and wheels on it when I got it.
Help, suggestions, ideas and moral support needed.....please.
I am off to rewind all the bits and pieces I did today, at least that gives me enjoyment lol.
I usually remove the ribber weights and cast on comb completely after I've finished the ribbing and transferred the stitches onto the main bed.
ReplyDeleteThen I hang three claw weights, one in the middle and one at each side edge.
I move the side ones up every 20 rows or so.
Thanks Susan, I'll try that. I have been taking the big weights off the ribber cast on comb and exchanging them for the two smaller ones but it has been stretching out the knitting a lot. Really appreciate the imput. So far I have completed the back and one front using the tuck stitch pattern so keeping fingers crossed on the rest of it. Also I have been going slower and checking the yarn is feeding through the tension mast OK as I noticed that it tightens up sometimes if the yarn doesn't come off the cone properly.
ReplyDelete