Monday, October 10, 2011

This time it was user error! and does two a collection make?

Yesterday afternoon while the Nascar race was on I went up stairs to knit a front for the jacket.  I was doing great, I was up to the neckline shaping and started on it. I was feeling pretty good at this point until I noticed I had started to decrease on the smallest size on the pattern and it is the biggest size I am knitting!!!!!  Pure unadulterated, can't blame it on any one but myself, user error lol.  I wasn't mad because it was my own doing. The machine, my Betsy, was functioning perfectly. I have since marked in pencil on the pattern where I need to go to to avoid a repeat of this. I will erase it when I am done.

Now to my other news.  Friday I bought another knitting machine.  It was an impulse buy at a great price.  (I bartered and got it for half the asking price) .  The guy who was selling it is a local Policeman who bought it for his wife he said, about 15 years ago.  But she left him 5 years ago and didn't take it so he wanted rid of it. He didn't think she had used it much but it has been used.  He totally blew away any value in it being an antique collectible by throwing away the original box and storing it in a tool box but as I bought it to use and not resell, that's not a problem. Doing some research I think it is more like 20 years old but no matter.

It's a KnitSmart 3-in-1 system.  Actually, it's a hobby machine.  Everything is plastic except the needles.  It's more like a toy but it knits double knitting and bulky yarn.  It wouldn't do the super bulky 6 we bought to try though. Not surprised really, it's like flipping rope!!! I wouldn't even want to hand knit with it, it's so thick. I'm assuming this machine is like a Bond but never having seen one I don't know.  It does have an electronic row counter which I don't think the Bond's have.  I can't get over everything being plastic.  Even the plates that move the needles are plastic and you have to wax them lol.

It has 104 needles on the original machine, and it came with an extension of 26 needles making it a total of 130 usable needles.  It is an 8mm so bigger than a mid gauge but smaller than a regular chunky. Apparently, according to the manual, they were going to make modules to buy to be able to convert it to a 6.5mm or a 9.5mm machine.  The modules being the needle beds, the carriage would work on all three sizes of them.  Will keep a look out for them on the internet, might be able to pick one or both up cheaply somewhere one day.


Some extra thick double knit.  I think they call it worsted weight here in the US.



Some bulky #5 yarn. I love this yarn, it knits with subtle changes of colour.  The lilac is for comparison as it is what I am using on my Studio 700 to knit the little jacket.


I used plate #30 for the yellow and plate #35 for the purple. There are 8 different sizes, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45



The stitches are huge lol!


The carriages, end pieces and knitting plates all packed in the bottom of the toolbox.  The tray with the accessories sits on top 


There are a lot of great things to be said about this machine.
  • Great portability, not too heavy to carry around and quick to set up
  • Simplistic
  • Fits on my kitchen island so don't have to be upstairs to knit. The island is on casters too so can move it anywhere downstairs easily
  • Dropped stitches are easy to pick up
  • Knits thicker yarn of which I have a lot. We inherited my Mum in law's stash of yarn
  • My husband wants a chunky cardigan so I'll be able to knit him one on this machine
  • It was very inexpensive
The down side is I don't have a ribber for it and doing any sort of fancy stitch-work takes manual manipulation.

But it's a completely different type of machine and will be used to knit plainer bulkier things and I get to use up the stash! I will try ribbing on the machine by dropping the stitches and redoing them with the latch tool and if I can't manage that I will hand knit the rib and put it on the needles.

My 700 with ribber is my real pride and joy though. I love that machine and my personal preference is for finer knit garments.

Didn't get any sort of knitting done today as my husband was feeling up to doing some work on our sun room conversion so that's what we did.  There's always tomorrow or the next day..............

3 comments:

  1. It is very much like the Bond. I believe the Knitsmart carriage can be used on the Bond - not sure if the Bond carriage will work on the Knitsmart.
    I know when I go from knitting on the standard gauge to the Bond the stitches do seem massive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice maureen, yeah like Susan said it is very similar to the Bond but this is like the more top of the line, if you will.
    Also going back to what susan and you said, the stitchs do seam massive once you have been using the standard machine for a while and then jump to the Bond, even the needle spacing as well, it never ceases to amaze me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's going to take a bit of getting used to. Found a pattern I can use to make my husband his cardigan. I said only old men wear cardigans and he replied that he was an old man so he wanted one lol. (He is 67 next week)

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.