Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I started on the quilt after having a marathon furniture moving around frenzy.

We have been busy moving furniture around and giving some away.  It all started with bringing down the rocker chair from my room to fix.

I posted about getting my room sorted out on Saturday and was eager to get up there to work but we had the chair to fix first.

Sunday, we fixed that chair for my husband to use in the front room.  That meant something had to go.  I emailed our neighbour to see if they, or their son and his family who live nearby, could use a sofa.  We had two in the living room and it really was too much.  I liked the blue sofa because the two outsides seats reclined. The other one is a green leather one which my husband didn't want to part with.

But one of them needed to go.  My husband wasn't using either, he always sits in his wheelchair which isn't very comfy after a while. He had difficulty making the recliner work and the green sofa is too low for either of us now.  (This is where I insert "It sucks to get old").

We had a matching blue recliner upstairs so if we let the blue sofa go I would still have a recliner and he would have the repaired chair.  That seemed to be the solution.

Our neighbours took the blue sofa and it was perfect for them.  They carried the blue recliner downstairs for us too.  So we had the recliner and the repaired rocker in the living room.

BUT!!! the rocker was too low and it broke again.

BUT!!! we had another solution.  We have two black leather rockers, I personally don't like them, they are too hard and I really don't like leather furniture that much to sit on.  One had been banished to his office and the other to our sunroom.  The office is next door to the living room so that was the easiest to swap over.

We struggled with that on our own, couldn't pester the neighbours again.  So you know what it's like when you start moving furniture around, there is the dreaded dust underneath everything so a mammoth cleaning session ensued.

Now we had the recliner and the rocker in the living room.  We have two identical wolf throws so I put them on them and they really looked nice. My husband could now sit in the rocker which wasn't too low.  We have a footstool for him too.

Well, that wasn't meant to be either as that leather rocker had a broken spring and a bump in the seat.

So, yesterday, Monday,  we swapped it out with the one in the sunroom and of course, I had another cleaning session in there.



In the good old days, we would have taken this all in our stride  but now it takes us a long time to do anything and we get worn out.

But, finally, yesterday afternoon, I got into my knitting/sewing room to start on the quilt.  We do not know if our new grand baby is a boy or girl so going with bright neutral colours.

It takes 36 squares of 5.5".  Easy, I think, 6 fabrics of six squares each.  Should be able to make something symmetric with those.  I like things to be organised so symmetry works for me. But I only found five fabrics I wanted to use, however, I also found a 12" x 12" half finished square (equivalent of 4 squares) that my Mum in law had started on that had the colours in I was using. So now that meant I only needed 32 squares.  32 divided by 5 doesn't go.

My fabrics are:-
Big flowers on blue
Red with little pattern
Little flowers on white
Hearts on white
Yellow gingham

I have plain red and blue fabric for the borders.

I cut six squares of small flowers.  I wanted six squares of red but only had enough for 4. So if I used two lots of 8 and one lot of 6 I would have 32.

I drew out a grid of 36 and made a design using the above number of squares and patterns.

I hope it works.

The chosen fabrics.  The table in my room is great.  Love it!!


The pattern I came up with for the squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.