Thursday, February 5, 2015

And the faux pas for day 6 working on the quilt was............

I managed to grab an hour or so yesterday to work on the quilt.  It was time to sew all the strips together but first I had to insert the centre large square.  It needed to be cut to size and I calculated what size it needed to be so that the surrounding squares would all line up.

I got the correct size but I didn't cut it out correctly so the motive was not in the centre of the square. AARRGGHH!!!!!


This is where panic set in.  How can I fix it?  Well I couldn't fix the square so I had to replace it.  I really like the centre piece because it ties in the border colours I have chosen (plain red and plain blue) so I wanted to incorporate it somehow. The solution, it turned out, isn't that difficult.  I cut a plain white square and I will unpick the motif from the square I cut incorrectly and sew it onto the new white square.

I sewed all the strips together and ironed it and I am happy with how it turned out. Almost all the seam joins line up.  My ironing all the seams the same way didn't quite work out I discovered when I sewed it all together.  Also, a couple of the seams have a twist but overall I am happy, it looks great on the right side.


Next I have to cut out the borders.

Also, I have been researching the actual quilt sewing process once the three layers are in place and ready to be quilted.

I do not have a 'walking foot' for any of my machines.  I couldn't find one specifically for the Brother old machine I am using so I will check if there is one available for the Singer.  I was surprised I didn't find one in my MIL's stuff but I didn't so I have to keep on researching until I can find one I can buy that will work on one of my machines.

Not sure if I'll get any time today on it but it's still afternoon so I might be able to grab an hour somewhere.  Have to find a 'walking foot' first or a way to sew it without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.