Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Some more progress on the treadle machine cabinet

Yesterday I got the metal support pieces in place.  The theory of one strip of metal went by the way because of the apparatus to raise the machine that is also attached to the back of the frame.  On the plus side, the two pieces of metal that my husband cut to attach the clamps on to when I glued it were the perfect size to use.  I marked where the holes needed to go and he drilled them out on the drill press for me.  That was a not so strenuous job that he could do without getting out of breath. I had to round the back of them on the grinder so the frame would go down properly and in true clumsy fashion I ground my finger too.  I then attached them to the frame and bolted in the brackets in that hold the machine in the frame.





Today I cut the veneer and ironed it on and my husband tried out some stain to see how close we could get it to match the existing wood.




Tomorrow I have to trim the veneer and shape it round around the curved corners then start on the staining.  I think it will take several coats to get it close.

After the stain has dried for a day or two I will put the varnish (seal) on it.  I have a couple of spots to touch up also with stain then I will give the cabinet a good clean and polish and oil the treadle mechanism then I should be able to try it out.

That might not be until the middle of next week though as Sunday we have to go to Columbia so we can be at the VA for 7.30am Monday morning.  We will stay Monday night too because we have an appointment on Tuesday morning there too plus they may keep him overnight on Monday after they do the cardiac cath.

I also tried to scalp myself today.  I thought I would blow off the cabinet and metal frame to get any loose dust of it.  Instead of doing the proper thing and turning on the air compressor I picked up the leaf blower and turned it on to blow the cabinet off with. Well, I hadn't tied back my hair and it got sucked into the air intake on the blower. Pretty scary and it pulled out some of my hair.  Nothing too drastic thankfully!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh. One of our channels has an ad for a program I don't watch. It shows a woman who gets her long hair caught in the paper shredder. Your last paragraph reminded me of that commercial. Just so you know, I am not laughing. But it also reminds me of when my daughter was little and I was cleaning corners of the carpet with the wand extension for the vacuum. She stuck the wand to her forehead. She had a Hickey on her forehead for WEEKS! We called it her third eye. LOL. THAT was a funny memory.

    Keeping you and Jet in my prayers that all goes well at the VA.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, really appreciate your kind thoughts. XXXXX

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.