Monday, February 13, 2017

The cleaning and oiling of the sewing machine head is done

I have spent the last few days cleaning the machine.  It has been quite the job but very satisfying when it was done.  I was hoping to make it like brand new again but that was an impossible dream, after all it is approx 100 years old.  This model was made between 1910 and 1920.  Some of the metal is pitted and some of the paintwork has chips out of it.

I found the best polish was the wadding type, in the UK it was known as Duraglit, here it is called Never Dull.  I also bought a bag of soft rags which were such a big help and they left no lint.

I couldn't get the throat plate off despite oiling the screw many times but I was able to dig out a boat load of compressed lint from around the jaggety things that move the fabric along (whose name eludes me right now!)  Feed dogs! I remembered 10 minutes later.

                       Here are some before pictures:-










And some after ones:-








In the process of doing this the household became quite chaotic.  I did it inside so that I wasn't abandoning my husband for hours on end while he is poorly.  I did do a bit of tidying up this afternoon.

 Next I have to work on the cabinet so it will have to go to the workshop for that,

The belt I ordered for it came today and I am itching to try it but I want to repair the cabinet first. 

I had a mental block on how to seat the shuttle into the machine but after watching a couple of you tube videos I found out how to do it.  Another example off 'it's simple when you know how'! 

We have a hospital trip coming up Wednesday so won't get anything done that day.

I am the world's worst photographer so please excuse the poor quality of the pictures.

Upwards and onwards!

2 comments:

  1. I would not have known the first place to start refurbishing a sewing machine. It's so cool that you accomplished the task. Bet you'll be sewing on it in no time.
    Happy Valentine's Day,
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how much fluff could collect under the feed dogs. There must have been the full 100 years worth of it lol. It had compacted so hard and I kept getting more and more out. For sure I am going to check out my other machines. I do try and brush it out on them but maybe they are getting compacted with it too.

      Delete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.