Tuesday, February 14, 2017

woopsie! I blew up the heat gun

Today, with the help of my husband with his walker, we got the sewing machine cabinet out into the workshop. Although still heavy, without the machine attached it was a bit easier to lift. We only had to carry it across the gravel driveway and up the gravel path to the workshop so it wasn't too much of a strain on him hopefully.

He had explained to me that the top of the lid was veneer and that it should peel of with heat.  He also explained that we could buy new veneer to replace it.  That was helpful advice indeed because I would have spent hours and hours sanding down the top in the hope that I would eventually get a smooth surface to stain and seal.

So I set about with the heat gun and a scraper (or two or three, well actually four) to remove the veneer. I was going great guns too until the flipping heat gun started to wail, then spark and finally smoke. Well maybe, I thought, if I leave it off a little while it will be OK. Well so much for that theory, I plugged it back in, it sparked some more, stopped working and smoked a lot more.

I did get quite a lot done though.  Now to order a new heat gun to be able to finish it.


The surface underneath is made up of different grained wood so I think it will be best to put new veneer on it, maybe we will get a chance to look for some tomorrow, if not it will be another online purchase.

Meantime, while waiting to get the heat gun and veneer I will set about doing the repair to the frame underneath.  Thursday might be the day to do that.

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea that is how you remove veneer!! You are making pretty good progress.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. neither did I until my husband told me. In fact I really didn't know about veneer either until he told me. Never too old to learn eh?

      Delete
  2. my sewing machine has come to a standstill you are getting n great with yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's our quiet time of year here plus poor JET isn't well so he isn't doing projects that he usually co-opts me into so I have the time. That being said he is going in for a cardiac cath on the 27th where they will try and fix blockages so he will probably have a lot more energy. Going to get this machine all fixed up while I have the chance lol.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New heat gun ordered yesterday, should be here tomorrow, Friday, so I can get on with it. Going to try and do the cabinet repair today.

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.