Monday, July 11, 2011

Instant gratification...it ain't!

I spent a lot of time on the knitting machine over the weekend. Saturday afternoon I decided to set up the ribber attachment. I believed I followed the instructions but it didn't work. Tried several times to no avail. I came downstairs muttering that I had bought a hunk of junk.

We watched the NASCAR race and I finished reading a book and had my usual NASCAR nap. I was very, very tired and couldn't stay awake even though my guy was in the lead.

Sunday, I was giving some thought to the machine and decided to go back and try again. Again, no joy. I realized that I mustn't have it set up correctly so I went through the manual again and lo and behold I had missed a step completely. I redid it and had some success. I managed to knit in rib but I had lost stitches off the side and this time I couldn't blame it on the carriage arm because it wasn't attached. How's that for logic lol? I tried again and ribbed some more which was going really well until I dropped a stitch from the side again. I then tried to see if I could transfer the stitches from the ribber bed to the main carriage and proceed in plain knitting. Now this part I managed perfectly! So I did about 6 inches in plain and cast off. I could see where the stitch had dropped and I think it was because i didn't have it weighted equally.

Barbie now has another dress, this time a blue one. She is going to be one well dressed barbie by the time I've finished practising!

I made some makeshift round brush covers for the main carriage arm. That really awful clear plastic packaging that everything comes in these days that you have to cut off and is really sharp is actually perfect for making the little round covers. I made some yesterday and they work just fine on the main machine arm.

So progress was made over the weekend but still no real garments in the works yet. I will practice with the ribber some more before I embark on one.

The books I bought off the Alibris website are wonderful, full of very helpful and useful information and tips and lots of patterns. I even found a pattern for a doggy coat on the internet so Boris will be getting his coat......eventually.

I can't remember having this many problems before but I was a lot younger then and my attention to detail was much better but I am sure I will get there. Meantime I am having fun but as the title of this entry states

"Instant gratification...it ain't!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.