Sunday, July 3, 2011

Time to embark on a garment on the knitting machine

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday experimenting on the knitting machine. Still haven't 100% conquered he casting on for mock rib which is using every other needle but two out of three times it works OK so I must be on the right track. I also did some punchcard knitting yesterday. The darned manual didn't tell me how to resume normal knitting so the first time I did it I lost my stitches. Had to think through the process and came up with a sequence of moving levers that worked so the second attempt was good. It's a case of understanding what the levers do as opposed to just following instructions because then the instructions make sense plus you can also logic through the processes.

My last test piece sewed up nicely into a Barbie dress (now I have to go and pick up a Barbie doll but that's OK because I have a 4 yr old grand daughter so by the time I've finished she will have a Barbie fully outfitted lol). Another test piece, the one where I lost the stitches, will make a cute doll's hat. I picked up the stitches with a darning needle and pulled it through so just have to sew it up the side.





Soooooo, now I am going to embark on a garment. A child's sweater using mock rib and having a bit of fairisle going round the bottom of the body and the sleeves. I will make it using a size 2 pattern which I assume is age 2 and see how it comes out. With two grandsons, one just over one year and one 6 months, it will fit one of them at some time. If it knits up small then it will be ready for the next new baby that comes along. How's that for improvising? Eventually I will be able to knit exactly what size I want but for now it's all experimental....but such good fun.

I need to make something to boost my confidence. It's not that I'm new to machine knitting, I've had three others along the way but over 20 years ago and this one is a different make. The mechanical ones all work on the same basic principles but the levers are different and take a lot of getting used to.

So that's my plan but first of all I have an apple pie to make......it is almost July 4th after all and what can be more American than hot apple pie and icecream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.