Saturday, August 13, 2011

Knitting heaven and the treasures I found

We went to the yarn shop yesterday.  I got yarn for my grandson's sweater and some contrast for my grand daughter's.  They have a brand of yarn which they are selling off because they can't get any more.  It is Millor yarns. 9oz cones and great yarn but now the quantities and colours are limited but I found what I needed. In total I bought 11 cones.  We couldn't get the royal blue we wanted for my grandson's sweater but got a nice mid blue colour instead.

The owner of the store delivered some of what we needed from the warehouse and he and my husband started chatting which meant I had time to browse the store.  I found a couple of hang on combs for $1.25 each.  They are only 2" wide but have the hole to hang the weights on so they will hook over my long combs when they come.  I also got a cleaning brush which was missing from my tool kit.

Then, and this is where the heaven bit come in, I found a huge stack of punched cards for 50c each so I waded through them and found about six.  They were still chatting so I looked some more and found another six.  I looked around the store some more but they were still chatting! So I looked some more and found another six.  I was sooooo happy. Each one had it's own instructions too!  One, I expect I will never use but just had to buy it.  It is a deer.  We live in the country and have 20 acres of land, which is a mix of hills, woodland and some reclaimed land that we keep mowed. The deer roam freely on our land so it is very apt...........but a tad gauche even for us rednecks lol

And then, they were still chatting so I waded through the box of pattern and knitting books they were selling for $3 each and found a great pattern book.

So for $66 I got all that yarn and all the other stuff.  I was grinning all day. (about 41.25 GBP). Of course we had the expense of gas but we combined the trip with going to the pet store to buy some fish and corals.

I woke up and am still grinning.

Now to find the time to go and play with my new treasures!!!!!

PS.

At the store they had a lot of garments on display that had been knitted on machines and my husband really liked the ones that had been made on the chunky machines so maybe, in time, with a bit of luck and all fingers crossed, I may get a chunky machine too.

4 comments:

  1. Well done for your find at that low, low price oh and thank you for converting the total into GBP it gave me an idea of how much I could buy for that amount of money, I think for about 40 quid in my local yarn shop I could buy about 1000 grams of alpaca yarn so i really think you got a bargin, I meen $66 for 11 9 ounce cones is a bargin in it's self so what a nice find and a very interesting blog post.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't alpaca though. Just an acrylic mix which for me is perfect as I am a wash in the machine and tumble dry person as are our families. I will be able to make lots and lots of things though with all that yarn and for me the enjoyment comes from the making. Last year, (before I got my machine) in our nearest Walmart I bought a great sweater. It was a cotton V neck with fair-isle patterning. I love it. It cost me $12 then and later when the winter season was over they went on sale for $3 so I got another in different colours. No way on earth could I have made it for the original price let alone the sale price but making things is what I really love so that for me is the joy. Also it helps if the recipients of my work like them too but that is the egotistical side of me rearing it's ugly head lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so glad you have gotten back into this lovely thing of making things. It is being a wonderful, challenging place to put your energy and mind. Your passion is so obvious *S*

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.