Well, it was like the machine was drunk on Saturday. The ribbing just wouldn't work. I tried it over and over again with the same results.
I thought at first it might be because I was using the two strands of blue but as you can see, it did it to the other yarn too.
So I took of the ribber and refitted it, maybe it had slipped somehow. The right hand bracket on the ribber is very stiff. The bracket that raises and lowers the ribber carriage. I have looked at it and examined it but can't see why it is so stiff but has been so from the get go. Because of it raising and lowering the carriage is very hard. I have to really tug on it on the right side to get it to move. I oiled it a lot and it has helped a little but clearly there is a problem, but it isn't insurmountable.
After doing this on Saturday, I left it. Yesterday when I went back to it was still having a problem. This time I took down the whole thing, ribber and main carriage and set them both back up from scratch. It seemed to work on the beige yarn OK yarn but still has problems using the two strands of the thinner yarn. So for now I have put that yarn away. I will try and find out if there is anything to make knitting with two or more strands easier. I have enough other yarn to betting on with.
I did a couple of swatches after I put it all back together again. Just as a side note, I still had two strands of green in one side so I used it as a contrast in one of the swatches. It seems once the knitting is started it doesn't seem to have a problem. Just with getting going with it seems. But I am still leaving it aside for now.
So that was my weekend of knitting horrors.
I am not complaining though, just documenting. This is my happy blog.
I want to thank Phil for the advice on casting on. I will try that when I get back on the machine, probably Wednesday. Today we are working on the fishtank and tomorrow we have the 300 mile round trip to the hospital for my husband's cardio appointment.
Cup of tea time now. There are some things that an English woman can't do without lol
No worries Maureen. I am very willing to offer any advice when needed :-)
ReplyDelete