Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sweater non progress report and the burning question of the day!

I have to call it a non progress report because I have not progressed despite doing a sleeve yesterday!  Time to knit this week has been limited but I did grab some yesterday so I thought i would do a sleeve.

I write my patterns out longhand as my attention to detail is not so good these days so if I have a place to increase or decrease I write that section out and tick off rows as I go.  It takes longer but I make fewer mistakes that way.  When I was writing out the sleeve pattern I thought that the sleeve was going to be too long and I almost adjusted it but didn't have the confidence in myself to do so............I should have done so!  It was very long!!!!!

I also made a mistake with the patterning......completely my own fault.  When I had finished doing the pattern section I took out the punch card, reset the punch card lever,  reset the cam lever (I think that's what it is called, the big round one in the middle) and the side levers and proceeded to do a row.  What I had forgotten to do was take out the contrast colour.  I realised this after the first row but didn't think it was a problem because all the stitches on the needles were the main colour.  I took the contrast colour out and carried on.

Everything went smoothly and it only took an hour and a half to complete.  I was excited, but my excitement was short lived when I took it off and turned it over.

Aside from being way too long there was a straight row of the contrast colour at the top of the patterning. So leaving the contrast colour in the yarn feeder on the carriage, even though it didn't seem to knit is NOT the thing to do.  Another lesson learned lol. (No photo as I unraveled it straight away so the yarn wouldn't be too wrinkled to re-knit.  I decided to re-use it this time as I have been wasting a lot of yarn on this one!)

So I will adjust my pattern for the length and try again.

But my burning question of the day is............

Does anyone have a way to see the back (which is really the front) of the knitting while it is on the machine.  I thought of setting up a light and a mirror under the desk or taking my phone up with me and taking pictures but both seem a bit extreme. It would be nice to be able to see it though so I could stop and restart much sooner if I have made a mistake.

Ideas anyone????????

4 comments:

  1. I crawl under the table so I can see the right side of the work. Not very dignified and not quite as easy as it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My crawling under any table days are long gone lol. Tried my phone but it doesn't have a flash on the camera so will try my husband's next time as his does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally just fold the knitting towards me and have a look - it usually works ok with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wouldn't have worked in this case because by the time I had done enough to turn it over I would have almost completed the whole sleeve anyway as it is for a one year old so not very long. I find that with the ribber attached even though it is in the dropped position, it is difficult to see behind. I wanted to see that the patterning had worked out before I went on and finished it. Also I leave the cast on comb on the knitting to keep it stretched out even when I have done with the ribbing. I do take the weights off though. The first time I didn't and the item I was knitting looked so long lol and it was only the back of a baby sweater. I am always amazed at how the knitting goes right back so nicely though after it is off the machine. Sometimes when I am knitting it looks so contorted and I think it is going to be a weird shape, but it isn't.

    ReplyDelete

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.