I redid the sweater front after thinking about it and possible reasons for the ribbing problem. I loosened the yarn feeder tension and kept a careful eye on the yarn going through it and it was much better. Phil was spot on with his analysis of the problem.
So, I finished the front with just a minor problem when I was decreasing for the arm and neck. I forgot to do the three rows in between the decrease rows so was out on my row counter numbers. I didn't realize this at first so did a few more rows. But I was able to undo it to past where I went awry and put the needles back on and continued to finish it off correctly.
I was feeling pretty pleased with myself.....BUT!!!!! when I looked at it closely I could see that the patterning had gone wonky.
My first reaction was to say 'oh well, it doesn't show that bad so I'll go with it' .......but I won't. I'll redo it but if the third attempt has a problem it will be the best of the three, cos I ain't doing a fourth!!
I think the problem is the punch card. It is one of my new ones but it is a very short one and made of clear plastic so when it is joined together it makes just a small cylinder and because of the stiffness of the plastic I think it is causing it not to knit properly.
But said Baldrick, 'I have a cunning plan'. (only the more senior English readers will understand that lol)
I have the new blank punch cards I bought so I will sit the clear one on top of the other one to mark where to punch the holes. Yes! I have a puncher. Of my previous machines the only thing that I kept hold of was the puncher. That travelled with me from England to Canada and then to the US. The blank cards are longer and less rigid. Just have to make sure I get it so that it will do continuous pattern in case I ever want to use it to do a longer section of patterning. Complicated stuff!! Hope I'm up to it!
So off I go to do that.
Hi Maureen - you have been getting worked up with your knitting! Im glad you sorted the problem with the rib. When you undid the rows, were you just knitting plain stocking stitch or fairisle? If it was fairisle you would have had to reset the punchcard to whatever row you was up to on the first row you wanted to reknit (if that makes sense) usually with fairisle i would just start again as tedious as it is. With the mis-patterning I would check the needles in that area on the machine that they are working properly, and check the drums are clean on the back of the carriage. You could do as you say and re-punch out a card, which may help you out.
ReplyDeleteThanks Phil, I will check the needles. Don't think it's the carriage because when I checked the first front it was wonky too. Have blogged about it so won't repeat myself.
ReplyDeleteYou have been right on everything else though so fingers crossed this time it was the punch card.
Really appreciate you take the time to advise.
Thanks.