I wanted to knit a cardigan for my grand daughter who is 4. I eagerly awaited the knit radar patterns arrival but was confused by them....for a while. In the meantime I had decided to knit her one from a regular machine knit pattern but when I was checking it out it wasn't going to turn out any bigger than the sweater I knitted for my grandson who is 15 months old so that was a bust! Also, I realized that my tuck stitch pattern didn't grow as quickly as stocking stitch does so knitting from the pattern I had it wouldn't be anywhere near long enough and whereas it isn't difficult to work out how many extra rows you need to lengthen the body part I wouldn't be quite sure how many extra rows would be needed for the sleeve shaping etc. I realized that the knit radar would be perfect because it is based on your actual swatch and moves the paper accordingly.
I went back to the knit radar patterns. I had eventually worked out about the sideways knitting but didn't want to try one of those for my first attempt, plus I am bound and determined to do it in tuck stitch and the patterns weren't suited for that.
There was a nice pattern however for a hoodie but it only went to a size 3 which wouldn't be big enough.
Then I had a brainwave. Well I think it is, but my knitter friends probably know all this and wouldn't think it was clever at all.
Anyway, here is my plan.
I am going to use a different size ruler thingy (heaven only knows what they are called but they are the things that slip into the knit radar part of the machine that gives you the number of stitches) which will give me more stitches and I will adjust the number of rows on the knit radar so that it doesn't go through the machine so fast. This should give me a bigger garment using the pattern.
I may decide to do just a regular neckband but probably not as it calls for a zipper which makes it more of a jacket than a cardigan so the hood will be appropriate. The pattern calls for a band across the top of the sleeve in a different colour so I might do that and make the hood the same colour as the band. I have blue yarn the same color as the sweater I knitted for my grandson and a lovely lilac colour yarn which will contrast with it very nicely and make it girly.
I am ready now to start. I am happy with my pattern choice and I have finally finished punching all the missing cards from the original set that came with the machine so there's nothing to stop me now........
except the mowing and the dozen other things that I need to get done but I will find the time, I am eager to try the knit radar.
No comments:
Post a Comment
As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.