A couple of the patterns show either the front and backs or the arms knitted sideways. Is this normal? Why would you knit a front or a sleeve in two parts? I am confused but that isn't hard to do these days lol!
Here is the girl's sweater pattern with the sideways sleeves :-
If you click on my photos they enlarge so you can see them better.
How do I do a sleeve? Do I start with just the few stitches at the narrow edge? What happens when AI get to the end of the first part of the pattern? Do I take the pattern out and turn it upside down and proceed so the sleeve knits in one piece? If so, why didn't they just show it as one piece?
All and any help will be appreciated.
Why do they make things so complicated?????
The other problem with this is that the tuck pattern I want to use won't work sideways. It is the one Alex posted and has vertical lines to mimic Arran knitting and I really want to use it. Besides I have 4 different swatches I made using that pattern to ascertain how many rows and stitches I needed so I know exactly what tension and what ruler I have to use now.
Another question I have is does the paper have to be exactly this wide? I have some blank graph paper sheets which came with the machine but it is narrower than the sheets that these patterns come on. Could I trace the pattern from these ones onto the narrower paper so that it feeds the way I want it to? I just want to knit a sleeve starting at the bottom. (Hope that makes sense).
Now wouldn't you just believe it? my camera battery went flat!
But! I was not to be beaten, I took this next one with my husband's phone so hopefully you can read it.
Can anyone translate into idiot proof instructions the part about the sleeves.
Picture not too clear but this is what it says:-
Knit back
Finish the knitting by waste knitting
Knit front
Finish the knitting by waste knitting
Knit four pieces of the sleeve for back and front sleeves.
With waste yarn, cast on and knit several rows.
Work partial knitting by increasing stitches to shape underarm
Finish the knitting by waste knitting
Knit two pieces of yolk in a symmetrical pattern
*Before knitting yoke join the front sleeve to the armhole
Pick up last row stitches of front and sleeve and place them onto needles.
Knit the neckband
Knit two pieces of the cuff.
Thanks in anticipation.

I really don't know Maureen I am sorry I couldn't be of help, that is the first time I have ever seen a sleeve drawn on a knitradar sheet sideways, maybe someone else could be of help. I hope you figure it out though.
ReplyDeleteAlex