I was ready and eager to start on my next garment. I have a knit radar pattern I like, I have the yarn, I had a spare few hours. It was the perfect time.
I started off great. The ribbing went well, the transfer to main bed went well, I set up the tuck patterning perfectly and the knit radar was working wonderfully. I glanced at the carriage and misinterpretated what I saw. The lever was on tuck and to the left and opposite the 4 on the tension dial. I misread it as the tension being on 4 and I wanted it to be 6. I had only done a few rows in the tuck pattern so thought it wouldn't make too much difference to change the tension to 6. So what did I do???? I moved the lever back to the centre so it was opposite the 6 and continued knitting.
Duh! It was doing stockinette. I was confused until I realised what I had done.
Oh well, no big deal, just unravel it and start again. I wound it back onto the cone but did it too tightly and made it into a kingpin shape.
Oh well, no big deal until I tried knitting with it and it wouldn't unravel because of the bulge at the top.
Fortunately I had another cone so I set the new one up and started again.
This time the ribbing wasn't going well and when I dropped the main bed after transferring the stitches I could see that it had done it's weird thing that it does sometimes.
Oh well no big deal, just unravel it and start again. I also resited the ribber.
I started again, this time the rib went perfectly, the transfer to main bed went perfectly and it started knitting perfectly.
I was nearly up to the armhole shaping when I saw that something wasn't right with the pattern. It had started about 5 rows down in the middle. I thought that the knitting had caught on the gate pins but it wasn't that. I guessed it was a dropped stitch so was not recoverable as it is tuck stitch. After i took it off i could see that was exactly what had happened. It had dropped a stitch. Thinking about it I think I should have hung weights all along and not just at the edges. I still had the ribber cast on comb attached with weights on it but I think the knitting needed to be weighted too in the middle. Will try that next time.
This time it was a big deal. The afternoon had gone by and it was time for dinner.
Oh well, there's always tomorrow!
I do think I am going to like using the knit radar. Just have to up my inventory of patterns.
No comments:
Post a Comment
As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.