Sunday, September 18, 2011

Always learning

After ironing the swatch I re washed it and tumble dried it.  It didn't go back to it's original state so ironing is a definite no no for a sweater.  However I now know that I can use the tuck patterns to knit a scarf.  Un-ironed it curls at the edges so would not be good for a scarf but after it has been ironed even if you re-wash and tumble dry it , it still stays flat.  So something else learned!

I now have a bunch of swatches in the washing machine to see how they react to the washing and drying process.  

Yes!, it is cool and damp outside today so the tumble dryer will be in use.
Such a nice change from the heat we have had all summer.

Also my knit radar patterns haven't arrived yet so in readiness I have found a pattern I can use.  I am trying to hold out until they get here.

Still punching away at the punch cards to bring my set up to the original 20.  I have four more to do so have done six. They are quite tedious lol but gives me something to do while my husband watches College football! (*see note below)

Went to a city wide garage sale yesterday to out nearest town.  For my English friends a garage sale is like a jumble sale except it is done from your house and usually in the garage, most of which are two car garages or more.  Yesterday it was a good job as it poured with rain most of the day.  I went with the hope of finding some yarn or knitting stuff and even the hopes that someone had a machine for sale that they had been storing under the bed for years.  No such luck!  But I did pick up an upright Dirt Devil cyclonic vacuum for $5, (the lady was selling everything half price because it was raining),  a thick fluffy rug for a dollar, (now I can burn the dog's bed which is decidedly smelly and I don't want to pollute my washing machine by washing it in it). I also got an unused Circulon griddle pan for $2 ( an absolute bargain and I haggled too cos it was marked at $3 and our old one is at the end of it's useful life) and a Swiffer Wetjet for $2. So a good $10's worth in my humble opinion.

Will do some more punching today. Currently watching the Man U v Chelsea game.  My husband is an avid soccer (football) fan even though he is a Yank lol.

*In the US and Canada, they refer to what we know as football as soccer so as not to confuse it with their version of football which is actually more like rugby.

I think that as the Yanks and Canadians use our language they could at least use the right words lol but I am a lonely British voice in the middle or Redneck land so I usually keep those thoughts to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.