That's not exactly true. I do iron shirts when required, ie. weddings and funerals but knitwear never! I either dry it flat if it calls for that but mostly I machine wash and tumble dry.
Today I decided to do the swatch for the next sweater or cardigan (still undecided until my patterns arrive). It looked great. I didn't take a photo. The book said to steam press the swatch before measuring.
Now where did I put the iron again? Oh yes, I remember, up in the spare bedroom closet. So I found it and set the ironing board up and plugged it in. I added the water and pressed the swatch. It is now almost half as big as it was before I ironed it and the tuck stitch pattern is flattened! Now as I am sure my daughters in law don't iron knitwear either I am going to have to wash and tumble dry the swatch and hope it goes back to it's original state before taking the measurements I will use.
Out of curiosity I will take the pressed swatch measurements too just to see the difference. The book did say to wait a couple of hours before doing that so maybe it will shrink back a bit.
Off to hide the darned iron again!
No comments:
Post a Comment
As in the words of Thumper: If you can't say 'nuffin nice don't say 'nuffin at all.